Can you put tofu in an air fryer?
In less than 20 minutes a block of extra firm tofu can go from boring and bland to crispy and flavorful. Air fried tofu is the perfect way to get deep fried crisp without the extra oil of deep frying.
How to serve air fried tofu?
In this air fryer tofu recipe I share a delicious savory peanut sauce that you can drizzle over the cooked tofu. I like to serve the crispy tofu with brown rice or quinoa, fresh veggies and lots of that creamy peanut sauce.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this air fryer tofu recipe?
What ingredients will I need to make this crispy tofu in the air fryer?
You will be amazed at how easy it is to make this delicious crispy tofu and savory peanut sauce with simple ingredients.
- Extra firm tofu
- Arrowroot starch
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Peanut butter
- Lime juice
- Sesame oil
- Rice vinegar
- Coconut aminos
Firm tofu vs. extra firm tofu
The difference between firm tofu and extra firm is the amount of water in the final product. The more firm the tofu is, the lower the water content.
Extra firm tofu is best for this crispy air fryer tofu recipe. The lower water content allows it to crisp up faster.
How to make Air Fryer Tofu
Step 1: Press tofu, cube and season
To begin, drain package of extra firm tofu and press tofu for 20 minutes. You can do this in a tofu press or wrap tofu in a clean towel and place under a heavy weight like books or a large pan.
Toss cubed tofu in this mixture until each cube is evenly coated.
Step 2: Air fry tofu
Step 3: Prepare peanut sauce and serve
Finally, serve crispy air fried tofu with quinoa or brown rice, fresh veggies, peanut sauce and green onions.
Storage and reheating
Store cooked crispy tofu in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stove top or in the air fryer
Check out these other crispy air fryer recipes
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
Air Fryer Tofu
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch (can sub cornstarch)
- 1 tso salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Spray oil – I use avocado
- Drain package of extra firm tofu and press tofu for 20 minutes. You can do this in a tofu press or wrap tofu in a clean towel and place under a heavy weight like books or a large pan. When tofu is pressed cut into 1″ cubes.
- Combine arrowroot starch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Toss cubed tofu in this mixture until each cube is evenly coated.
- Place seasoned tofu in an air fryer basket. Spray tofu on all sides with a spray oil. Preheat air fryer to 400F.
- Place tofu in air fryer and cook at 400F for 8 minutes. Remove tray from air fryer and toss. Return tofu to air fryer and cook for an additional 7 minutes.
- While the tofu cooks prepare the peanut sauce by whisking together peanut butter, lime juice, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sriracha, water and coconut aminos
- Serve crispy air fryer tofu with quinoa or brown rice, fresh veggies, peanut sauce and green onions