This Creamy Chickpea and Vegetable Stew is a comforting vegan stew made with simple ingredients. To make this chickpea stew just mix the ingredients and allow them simmer for about an hour to combine all of the flavors.
A creamy chickpea stew that you can make with pantry items
This Creamy Chickpea and Vegetable Stew is loaded with flavor, but is made with just a few simple ingredients. This stew starts with garlic, onion, and a few warming spices. Then, you add your veggies, chickpeas, broth and coconut milk.
The stew will simmer on the stove for nearly an hour filling your home with the wonderful smell of the spices. I like to serve this stew with some brown rice and a dollop of Greek yogurt. This is a fully plant-based meal so you can top it with plant-based yogurt or my cashew sour cream instead.
Soup vs. Stew
The difference between a soup and a stew is the amount of liquid in the final dish. A stew will be thick with very little broth. Soups traditionally have more broth that is thinner.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this Creamy Chickpea and Vegetable Stew?
- Dutch oven or large pot
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Wooden mixing spoon
What ingredients will I need to make this chickpea stew?
You will be amazed at how easy it is to make this creamy chickpea stew with basic ingredients. You can find many of these ingredients in your pantry!
- Yellow onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Full fat coconut Milk
- Vegetable broth
- Tomato paste
- Avocado oil
- Chilli powder
- Cayenne pepper powder
How to make a Creamy Chickpea Stew
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
First, chop the zucchini, dice the onion, and mince the garlic. Then, drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Step 2: Sauté and combine
Next, heat the avocado oil, garlic, and onion in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-low heat. Then, add the spices to the pan and cook for couple of minutes. Mix in the tomato paste.
Step 3: Simmer, Simmer, Simmer
Next, add in all other ingredients and increase heat to high. Once bubbling, reduce to a simmer.
Then, simmer for 50 minutes stirring occasionally. Finally, remove from heat and serve with rice and a dollop of yogurt.
Step 4: Enjoy!
How long will this vegetable stew keep in the fridge?
Once prepared, store this stew in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Reheat on the stovetop adding more vegetable broth as you reheat if needed.
Check out these other delicious vegetarian recipes!
- Spicy Pumpkin One Pot Pasta
- Classic Vegetable Soup (Progresso Copycat)
- Sweet Potato Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15oz)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 cans of chickpeas (15oz each)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (15oz)
- Mince garlic, dice onion, and roughly chop zucchini
- Drain and rinse cans of chickpeas
- Heat avocado oil, garlic, and onion to a large pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat
- Cook for 5 minutes tossing occassionally
- Add salt, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, and cayenne pepper to the pan and toss to combine with the garlic and onions
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes until the spices become fragrant
- Add tomato paste to the pot and mix in with the other ingredients
- Add chickpeas, zucchini, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and coconut milk to the pot
- Mix the ingredients together and increase the heat to high until the ingredients bubble
- Reduce the mixture to a simmer
- Simmer uncovered for 50 minutes stirring occassionally
- Serve with rice or caulifllower rice and a dollop of yogurt