Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken
This Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken recipe is the perfect comforting one pan meal. Serve this tomato basil chicken with pasta, potatoes or rice and a green salad for a balanced dinner.
Make this comforting tomato basil chicken in one pan
When creating new recipes for this blog I try to think about recipes that I could make over and over again for my family. Recipes that are tasty enough that we would enjoy them many times, but simple enough that they could go on a weekly or monthly rotation.
This creamy tomato basil chicken recipe will certainly fit into the rotation. Did you have something like the growing up?
Something that your parent made over and over again, but you never got sick of it? My own mother makes this soy and mustard sheet pan chicken that will never get old for me.
How to serve tomato basil chicken
The beauty of this creamy tomato basil chicken dish is the fact that it works for lots of different dietary preferences. I can make this simple, creamy chicken dish when my girlfriend is eating low carb.
For a low carb or keto meal you can serve this creamy chicken skillet alone or with veggies.
I can also make it for a big group and pair the tomato basil chicken with pasta. I chose orecchiette this time around and it was perfect with this creamy tomato basil sauce.
Ingredients for creamy tomato basil chicken
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Salt and pepper
- Dried oregano
- Grape tomatoes
- Heavy creamy
- Parmesan cheese
- Tomato paste
- Chicken broth
- Fresh basil
Make dinner in 30 minute with this creamy chicken skillet
This creamy tomato basil chicken recipe will be one in a line of one pot, low carb recipes that I will be trying to perfect. I want my site to be a place where you can come for an endless list of 30 minute meals.
BTW you can definitely get this on the table in 30 minutes because I tested this and photographed it before a flight and honestly amazed myself with the speed.
I also want to make sure that I can turn all of my recipe ideas into a whole30 version (or most of them) so leave a comment below if there is a whole30/lowcarb/one pan meal that you would like to see!
How to make tomato basil chicken
To make this creamy tomato basil chicken you need 30 minutes and a few basic ingredients! The only kitchen tools that you will need are a large frying pan with a lid and a meat tenderizer.
You will need to tenderize your chicken and season it. Then cook it up in a pan while you mix the sauce and cook your pasta.
Remove the chicken from the pan and add the tomatoes to the pan to blister them. Mix in the sauce and simmer.
Then return the chicken to the pan to warm through. Garnish with a big of fresh basil and you are good to go!!
Storage and reheating
This dish is best enjoyed immediately. but you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove top in its own sauce.
Check out these other one pan chicken dinners
Please find the full instructions below and if you make this dish I would love for you to share your creations with me on Instagram!
Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken
Creamy tomato basil chicken skillet. Serve on its own or with pasta!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8oz grape tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Fresh basil
- Optional: 8oz pasta
- Tenderize chicken breasts by pounding them to half thickness with a meat tenderizer. Season chicken breast on both sides with salt, pepper, and dried oregano. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the seasoned chicken to the pan and cook on medium for 5 minutes each side. Remove the chicken from the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and add the minced garlic. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the pan whole and season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook on medium low until the cherry tomatoes blister and begin to burst, about 6 minutes
- While the tomatoes cook, whisk together heavy cream, tomato paste and chicken broth. Smash down any of the blistered tomatoes that haven’t burst yet and pour the liquid mixture into the pan
- Stir to combine and allow the mixture to start to simmer. Slowly pour in the parmesan cheese and stir until it is completely melted and mixed into the sauce. Please the chicken back in the pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Simmer for 3 more minutes and serve with ribbons of fresh basil.
- Optional: If you would like to serve this with pasta, boil 8oz of pasta. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Add the cooked and drained pasta, along with 1/4 cup pasta water into the pan with the chicken and the sauce.
Leave a Comment