Make a comforting winter soup with this Progresso Copycat Classic Vegetable Soup! This tomato based vegetable soup is loaded with veggies, potatoes, and some rotini pasta to make it extra filling.
Skip the canned soup and make this simple homemade vegetable soup!
If you’re following along with me on Instagram you know that I am having fun making my favorite canned soups at home with better ingredients. Progresso’s classic vegetable soup is definitely the best canned veggie soup out there, BUT you can make it even better at home.
As the temperatures start to drop, impress your family with this cozy vegetable soup. I made it super easy to make this classic veggie soup at home.
Start with a simple tomato base, mix in frozen veggies and simmer. Then, mix in cubed potatoes and rotini pasta.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this Progresso Copycat Classic Vegetable Soup?
- Large soup pot or dutch oven
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
What ingredients will I need to make this healthy vegetable soup?
I tried to make this vegetable soup ingredient list as simple as possible! Use pre cut frozen veggies to dramatically cut down on the time it takes to prepare this recipe.
- Mixed frozen vegetables – I used the one with green beans, sweet peas, corn and carrots
- Yellow onion
- Tomato Paste
- Dried parsley
- Vegetable broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Rotini Pasta
Can I make this classic vegetable soup gluten free?
Yes! It is very easy to make this a gluten free veggie soup. Just swap standard rotini pasta for a gluten free pasta. All of the other ingredients should be gluten free, but be sure to check the labels!
Let’s make a Progresso Copycat Classic Vegetable Soup!
Step 1: Simmer veggies
To begin, dice the yellow onion. Then, heat oil in a large pan or dutch oven over medium-low heat.
Next, add onion, salt, pepper, and dried parsley to the pot. Saute onions and seasonings until soft and fragrant about 5 minutes tossing frequently.
Add the water, frozen veggies, and can of diced tomatoes to the pot. Then, bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover the pot.
Simmer for 30 minutes covered, stirring frequently.
Step 2: Add potatoes and noodles to the vegetable soup
While the soup simmers, peel and cube the russet potatoes After the soup has simmered for 30 minutes add the potatoes and rotini pasta to the pot.
Then, continue simmering the soup until the pasta and potatoes are cooked and soft, about 15 minutes. Finally, remove the veggie soup from heat and serve on its own or with some fresh parmesan cheese and parsley.
Step 4: Enjoy!
How long will this healthy veggie soup keep in the fridge?
Once prepared, allow the soup to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Store this soup in the airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!Print
A copycat recipe for Progresso’s classic vegetable soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 24oz mixed frozen veggies – I used one with green beans, corn, sweet peas and carrots
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5oz can)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 russet potato
- 2 cups rotini pasta
- Optional: parmesan cheese and fresh parsley for topping
- Dice the yellow onion
- Heat oil in a large pan or dutch oven over medium-low heat
- Add onion, salt, pepper, and dried parsley to the pot
- Saute onions and seasonings until soft and fragrant about 5 minutes tossing frequently
- Add tomato paste to the pot and mix with the onions
- Slowly pour the vegetable broth into the pot and stir to mix with the tomato paste
- Add the water, frozen veggies, and can of diced tomatoes to the pot
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover the pot
- Simmer for 30 minutes covered, stirring frequently
- Peel and cube the russet potatoes
- After the soup has simmered for 30 minutes add the potatoes and rotini pasta to the pot
- Continuing simmering the soup until the pasta and potatoes are cooked and soft, about 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and serve on its own or with some fresh parmesan cheese and parsley
Keywords: classic vegetable soup, progresso classic vegetable soup, healthy vegetable soup