Use this Sweet Potato Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup recipe to make a comforting vegan fall soup. This sweet potato soup is creamy and hearty without any dairy.
Wild rice and mushroom make the perfect comforting soup combination
When I think of wild rice soups I always think of my dad. Several times during each fall and winter I would come downstairs on a Sunday to see him standing over a pot of wild rice soup.
I decided to pair my wild rice with some sliced mushrooms and cubed sweet potato to make an extra hearty soup. Then, I grabbed a can of coconut milk to stir in with the broth to make the soup creamy, but still plant based.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this Sweet Potato Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup?
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Large pot or dutch oven
- Mixing spoon
What ingredients will I need to make this creamy sweet potato and wild rice soup?
You will be amazed at how easy it is to make this comforting fall soup with just a few healthy ingredients.
- Wild rice
- Sweet Potato
- Salt, pepper, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper
- Vegetable broth
- Coconut milk
- Balsamic vinegar
Can I add meat to this healthy sweet potato soup?
Yes! You can easily stir cooked meat into this mushroom and wild rice soup. Amy and I stirred some shredded chicken into each bowl. You can use this recipe to make a shredded chicken in the instant pot.
This is also the perfect soup to make after Thanksgiving. You can take some of your leftover Thanksgiving turkey, shred it or cube it, and mix it right into the soup.
Let’s make Sweet Potato Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup!
Step 1: Prep ingredients and saute
To begin, mince garlic, dice carrots, celery and onion, slice mushrooms and peel and cube sweet potato. Then, heat oil, garlic, onions, carrots and celery in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat.
Then, saute until soft and fragrant – about 8 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and smoked paprika to the pan and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
Step 2: Bring soup to a boil and simmer
Next, add sliced mushrooms, cubed sweet potato, vegetable broth, coconut milk, and wild rice to the pot.
Then, increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer.
Cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes stirring frequently. Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the hot burner.
Step 4: Season and enjoy!
Then, stir in 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (trust me on this!).
Finally, serve the soup on its own or with some cooked meat mixed in for extra protein.
How long will this sweet potato mushroom soup keep in the fridge?
Once prepared, allow the soup to cool completely and then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Can I freeze this hearty vegan wild rice soup?
Yes! If you want to make a batch of this sweet potato soup and save some for later you can freeze it. Just allow the soup to cool completely, place in a freezer friendly container and freeze. The soup should be good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I like to freeze in smaller containers so I can defrost individual portions. Defrost the soup in the fridge or in a water bath.
Check out these other delicious homemade soup recipes!
- Homemade Chickarina Soup (Progresso Copycat)
- Sweet Potato Paleo Chili
- Creamy Chicken and Brown Rice Soup
- Sweet Potato and Sausage Curry Soup
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 3 tbsp oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1.5 cups diced celery
- 1.5 cups diced carrots
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup dry wild rice
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Mince garlic. Dice carrots, celery and onion. Slice mushrooms. Peel and cube sweet potato.
- Heat oil, garlic, onions, carrots and celery in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat
- Saute until soft and fragrant – about 8 minutes
- Add salt, pepper, and smoked paprika to the pan and saute for an additional 2 minutes
- Add sliced mushrooms, cubed sweet potato, vegetable broth, coconut milk, and wild rice to the pot
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer
- Cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes stirring frequently
- Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the hot burner
- Stir in 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (trust me on this!)
- Serve the soup on its own or with some cooked meat mixed in for extra protein