Make a delicious Quinoa Chickpea Salad. Toss cooked quinoa, chickpeas, and fresh chopped veggies in a simple lemon basil vinaigrette.
Mix quinoa with chickpeas and veggies for the perfect summer lunch
Throughout the summer and early fall I like to make cold salads for lunch. I make a big batch during Sunday meal prep and enjoy it all week.
This quinoa chickpea salad comes together in less than 30 minutes. It is delicious immediately and as it sits in the fridge the flavor of the basil vinaigrette intensifies.
What should I serve with this quinoa salad?
This salad is delicious on its own as a quick and healthy lunch or as a side dish with dinner. I like to serve it with some of the following grilled meats for a simple summer dinner.
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Sauce pan for cooking quinoa
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Immersion blender or blender for mixing lemon basil vinaigrette
- Dry quinoa
- Bell pepper
- Red onion
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- While balsamic vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Maple syrup
What kind of quinoa should i use?
I prefer to use white quinoa for this salad because I think it looks nice with the chickpeas and veggies. You can also use red quinoa or tri-color quinoa. All types of quinoa will taste the same in this salad.
Can i make this dairy free?
Yes! You can omit the feta completely or use a dairy free feta. If you don’t want to use a dairy free feta, you can crumble some extra firm tofu, toss it in lemon juice, and mix it into the salad.
Can i use another kind of beans?
I prefer the taste or chickpeas or garbanzo beans in this quinoa salad, but you can use many other kinds of beans instead. You can use black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, navy beans or even edamame in place of chickpeas.
How to make quinoa chickpea salad
Step 1: Prepare and fluff quinoa
To begin, prepare quinoa according to package instructions. Fluff cooked quinoa with a fork and then allow it to cool completely.
Open the can of chickpeas and drain out the liquid. Rinse the chickpeas until cold running water until the water runs clear and set the chickpeas to the side.
Step 2: make lemon Basil Vinaigrette
Step 3: Mix it all together
Place cooked and cooled quinoa, chickpeas, chopped veggies, and crumbled feta into a mixing bowl. Pour the lemon basil dressing on top.
Toss to combine everything and taste. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
Can I make this Ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this chickpea quinoa salad ahead of time. If you are serving this at a party and you want it to look fresh and vibrant, I recommend keeping the salad and the lemon basil vinaigrette separate until about an hour before you serve it.
Toss the salad with the dressing an hour before serving it. You can serve this salad chilled or at room temperature.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. This salad should be good in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Check out these other vegetarian Side Dishes!
- Herb and Mustard Potato Salad
- Grilled Watermelon Salad
- Sourdough Panzanella Salad
- Honey Mustard Three Bean Salad
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool completely.
- Open can of chickpeas and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. Set aside.
- Prepare dressing by blending fresh basil leaves, white balsamic, lemon juice, dijon mustard, maple syrup, and salt with an immersion blender or standard blender
- Add the cooked and cooled quinoa to a bowl along with the chickpeas, feta, cucumber, bell pepper, and red onion. Pour lemon basil vinaigrette over top and toss to combine. Serve chilled or at room temperature.