Black Bean Baked Tacos are the perfect weeknight dinner. Make a batch of these black bean tacos and serve them with a variety of toppings to feed a crowd.
Make these black bean tacos for your next taco Tuesday
One thing I love about tacos is that from fillings to toppings, there are so many ways to enjoy them. This black bean taco recipe is a great veggie option that is both hearty and flavorful.
Substitute traditional taco meat with a mix of sauted veggies and mashed black beans to make the perfect vegetarian tacos.
Whether you are vegetarian or you are just trying to switch it up and get creative, these veggie tacos won’t disappoint. Plus, dinner cooked and ready in 30 minutes is a huge bonus, especially on a weekday.
These oven baked tacos are so tasty that you may not even have leftovers but on the off chance that you do, these make for a great meal prep option that you can reheat at lunch. Just warm up in an air fryer or oven and enjoy!
- Saute pan
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Sheet pan and parchment paper
- Mixing Bowl
- Cutting board and sharp knife
- Lime squeezer
There are so many ways that you can enjoy these black bean tacos. Some of my favorite toppings are lettuce, salsa, diced tomatoes, fresh avocado, sour cream, and pickled onions.
You can serve these easy black bean tacos alongside a simple chopped salad tossed in this delicious chipotle vinaigrette or with some cilantro lime rice.
- Bell pepper and white onion
- Black beans
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- Salt, black pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika
- Lime or lime juice
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Corn tortillas
Have a different bean on hand? Feel free to use kidney beans, pinto beans, or white beans in place of black beans for these baked tacos.
These tacos are naturally gluten free if you choose to use a corn tortilla. If you are not a fan of corn tortillas, small flour tortillas also work perfectly.
For the seasoning, you can also use pre-mixed, store-bought taco seasoning if you would prefer. Just use about 2 tbsp of the taco seasoning in place of the ingredients listed here.
If you’d rather make a baked taco recipe with a meat mixture instead of black beans, check our my ground beef baked taco recipe for a spend on traditional beef tacos.
How to make Black Bean Baked Tacos
Step 1: Preheat the oven and Saute Veggies
To begin, preheat your oven to 425F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. While the oven is preheating, thinly slice your bell pepper and onion.
At this time, you can also drain and rinse the black beans and set them aside.
Next, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, place the peppers and onions in the pan and saute until cooked.
Step 2: Mix Seasonings and Add black beans
After everything is coated in the seasoning, squeeze a lime into the pan and toss again to coat.
Use a potato masher or the back of a fork to mash some of the black beans so that you are left with some that are whole and some that are smashed. Then, remove the pan from the heat.
Step 3: Arrange Tacos and bake
Next, arrange the corn tortillas on 2 baking sheets. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the tortillas and spoon the black bean and veggie mixture onto one side of each of the tortillas.
Lastly, bake at 425F for 3 minutes. Remove from the oven, fold in half and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve these baked tacos with the toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Storage and reheating
Once prepared, allow the tacos to cool completely. Then, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you want to reheat leftovers of these veggie tacos, you can warm them up in an air fryer or oven for 2-3 minutes. Add fresh toppings and serve.
Check out these other Taco Recipes
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ a white onion
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lime
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 white corn tortillas (approx. 5.5” in diameter each)
- Preheat oven to 425F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Thinly slice bell pepper and onion. Drain and rinse black beans and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, place the peppers and onions in the pan. Saute over medium/medium-low heat for 8 minutes. Tossing frequently.
- While the peppers and onions cook, mix salt, pepper, chili powder and smoked paprika together in a small bowl.
- Pour black beans and seasoning mixture into the pan with the peppers and onions. Toss to coat the beans and veggies in the seasoning. Squeeze the juice from 1 lime into the pan and again toss to coat.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a fork, mash some of the black beans so you are left with some that are whole and some that are smashed. Remove pan from heat.
- Arrange 12 tortillas on 2 baking sheets. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the tortillas. Spoon about 3 tbsp of black bean and veggie mixture onto one side of each of the tortillas.
- Bake at 425F for 3 minutes. Remove from the oven, fold in half and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite taco toppings!
- Feel free to use kidney beans, pinto beans or white beans in place of black beans for these baked tacos
- You can use about 2 tbsp of a pre-made taco seasoning in place of the seasoning blend listed about to save time