Try a delicious spin on a classic recipe with this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole. Bake chicken pot pie filling in a casserole dish and top with homemade drop biscuits for the ultimate comfort meal.
A comforting casserole that everyone will love
If you’re craving a classic comfort dish, it is hard to beat the traditional chicken pot pie recipe. However, it isn’t the simplest or quickest dish to make and isn’t always realistic to whip up after a long day.
Thankfully, there’s a hassle-free alternative that allows you to enjoy all the best parts of chicken pot pie in casserole form. This pot pie casserole recipe is perfect for when you are low on time but craving you comfort foods.
Make a traditional pot pie filling and instead of baking it into a pie, place the filling in a casserole dish. Top the casserole with drop biscuits and bake until they are golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Casserole dish
- Small saucepan
- Large bowl
- Pastry cutter (optional)
- Wooden spoon
time saving tricks
There are a few ways to save time when making this easy chicken pot pie casserole recipe. Instead of using homemade biscuits you can buy store bought biscuits in a can.
Just cut the dough into bite-size pieces and use them in place of the drop biscuits. This will make the dish just as tasty but will cut down a little more time.
You can also use a store bough pie crust or puff pastry in place of the biscuits. Cut the pie crust or pastry into small squares and arrange on the top of the baking dish the same way you would with the biscuits.
You can also use a rotisserie chicken in place of the raw chicken breast. If it takes less time to cut up a rotisserie chicken breast, feel free to use that in place of the raw chicken it just might be a bit drier when cooked into the casserole.
The biggest time saving hack of all is using frozen vegetables instead of fresh vegetables. If you don’t want to use frozen mixed vegetables you can definitely use fresh!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Frozen peas and carrots
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- COLD unsalted butter
This pot pie casserole can also be enjoyed by those that are gluten-free. Just use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour to prepare the biscuits and creamy gravy.
If you prefer, you can also make this chicken pot pie recipe using fresh veggies instead of frozen ones. Feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand – green beans, onion or corn would go particularly well.
To add more flavor to this comforting dish, mix some shredded cheddar cheese into the drop biscuit mixture. Add extra flavor to the roux by mixing in additional dried herbs like dried thyme or rosemary.
How to make chicken pot pie casserole
Step 1: preheat oven and start to prep casserole
To begin, preheat oven to 425F and grease a 10×10 casserole dish with oil or butter. Keep butter for biscuits cold in the fridge while you prep the rest of the casserole.
Then, cut chicken breast into bite-sized cubes. Place the chicken in the casserole dish with frozen peas and carrots.
Step 2: prepare cream mixture
Next, in a small saucepan, heat 3 tbsp of butter for the casserole over medium heat until just melted. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour into the butter until a thick paste is formed.
Next, slowly pour in the milk and chicken broth whisking constantly. Mix in the salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder, and allow the mixture to simmer lightly while you prep the biscuits.
Step 3: prepare Biscuits
To prepare the biscuits, mix all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the bowl.
Then, mix butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter until it is evenly incorporated but not melted at all. If you do not have a pastry cutter you can use your fingertips to break the butter up and mix it in.
Next, mix the cold milk into the dough with a wooden spoon. Knead the dough together just until there are no wet spots and set it to the side.
Step 3: Mix everything together and bake
Then, take the simmering cream mixture from the stove and pour over the veggie and chicken mixture in the casserole dish. Stir to combine.
Take the biscuit dough and drop in small clumps over the top of the casserole to form a crust. It is okay if there is space between the biscuits.
Bake at 425F for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and serve!
storage, Reheating and Freezing
This chicken pot pie casserole dish can be stored in an airtight container or in the original dish covered in plastic wrap for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, scoop out a portion and cover with aluminum foil. Warm in the oven at 250F until just warmed through, about 15 minutes.
I recommend freezing the assembled casserole just prior to baking. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen at 400F covered for 45 minutes, then uncovered for 15 minutes.
Check out these other stress-free dinners
- Baked Tortellini with Chicken
- Sheet Pan Tomato and Artichoke Chicken
- One Skillet Orzo Chicken and Mushrooms
- Bruschetta Chicken Bake
- Sausage Kale and White Bean Skillet
- One Pan Chicken Alfredo
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ stick (4 tbsp) COLD unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425F and grease a 10×10 casserole dish. Keep butter for biscuits cold in the fridge while you prep the rest of the casserole.
- Cut chicken breast into bite sized cubes and place in the casserole dish with frozen peas and carrots.
- In a small sauce pan, heat 3 tbsp butter for casserole over medium heat until just melted. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the 3 tbsp of all purpose flour into the butter until a thick paste is formed. Slowly pout in the milk and chicken broth whisking constantly.
- Mix in the salt, pepper, parsley and garlic powder and allow the mixture to simmer lightly while you prepare the biscuits.
- Mix all purpose flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the bowl. Mix butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter until it is evenly incorporated but not melted at all. If you do not have a pastry cutter you can use your fingertips to break the butter up and mix it in.
- Mix the cold milk into the dough with a wooden spoon. Knead the dough together just until there are no wet spots and set to the side.
- Take the simmering cream mixture from the stove and pour over the chicken and veggie in the casserole dish. Mix to combine.
- Take the biscuit dough and drop in small clumps over top of the casserole to form a crust, it is okay if there is space between the biscuits.
- Bake at 425F for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and serve!