One Skillet Orzo Chicken and Mushrooms
Make a healthy and comforting dinner in 30 minutes with this One Skillet Orzo Chicken and Mushrooms. Combine chicken and mushrooms with broth, butter, orzo and simple seasonings for the perfect meal.
Make a quick and healthy dinner in one pan
I love a skillet meal or sheet pan meal, but MOST of the time I end up needing to cook a grain or starch to go with the meal. With this skillet chicken, orzo and mushroom recipe, the entire meal gets cooked in one pan!
Just choose a large oven safe skillet for cooking. Then, sear some chicken thighs, saute mushrooms, and bake it all together with some orzo.
Cook the chicken and mushrooms first and then use that base of flavor to toast orzo in butter. The orzo comes out soft and flavorful and the chicken thighs are extra tender.
This meal is just as good as leftovers as it is fresh out of the oven! Make this chicken orzo recipe for meal prep or serve to your family.
- Large oven safe skillet – I like to use a pan with higher sides to avoid splattering
- Sharp knife and cutting board for chopping mushrooms
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Tongs and wooden mixing spoon
I love that this chicken orzo recipe makes a full meal in just one pan! You can truly serve it as it is for a balanced meal.
If you want to add onto it, I recommend serving it with a side of veggies like these green beans almondine or a simple salad tossed in this apple cider vinaigrette.
Or make a super simple salad with mixed greens, chopped veggies, goat cheese and this creamy balsamic vinaigrette. The fresh flavors pair perfectly with the comforting chicken and mushroom skillet dinner.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs – feel free to use chicken breasts instead, but they may take a bit longer to cooke. Look for an internal temperature of 165F either way.
- Salt, pepper, and dried thyme – you can substitute dried oregano or dried basil for the thyme
- Mushrooms – I like to use cremini or baby bella mushrooms, but you can use any kind as long as they are sliced uniformly
- Chicken broth – you can also use vegetable broth
- Butter – I prefer to use unsalted butter for this recipe
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic cloves work best
- Orzo – If you want to make this recipe gluten free, just use gluten free orzo
- Parmesan cheese and fresh thyme for garnishing
How to make this Chicken and Mushrooms skillet with orzo
Step 1: chop mushrooms and season chicken
To begin, preheat oven to 400F. Clean and destem mushrooms. Chop mushrooms into evenly sized slices.
Take the boneless skinless chicken thighs and season on all sides with a blend of salt, pepper, and dried thyme.
Step 2: sauté mushrooms and toast orzo
Then, heat a large oven safe skillet over medium heat and pour oil into the skillet. Sear chicken thighs until lightly browned on all sides.
Next, remove the chicken from the skillet and sauté the mushrooms in the leftover oil. Once the mushrooms are browned, salt them lightly and add the minced garlic to the pan.
Saute the minced garlic until soft and fragrant. Then, melt in butter and add orzo. Toast orzo in the butter and mushrooms for a few minutes.
Step 3: Bake chicken, mushrooms and orzo skillet in oven
Then, pour chicken broth into the pan and nestle the seared chicken into the pan. Place the skillet in the oven to bake for 15-17 minutes.
Check the boneless skinless chicken thighs for an internal temperature or 165F. Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh thyme.
Storage and reheating
Allow the chicken and mushroom recipe to cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat in the skillet with a little extra chicken broth or in the microwave. Top with fresh parmesan cheese each time you reheat.
Check out these other easy chicken dinner recipes
- Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs
- Cherry Tomato Pasta with Chicken
- Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Meatballs
- Cast Iron Baked Bone In Chicken Breast
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
One Skillet Orzo Chicken and Mushrooms
Chicken and mushrooms cooked in a skillet with orzo
- 2lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Parmesan and fresh thyme for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F. Remove stems from mushrooms and slice into even slices. Season chicken thighs on top and bottom with salt, pepper and dried thyme.
- Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.Sear chicken thighs for 3 minutes on each side. Remove chicken thighs from the pan.
- Place mushrooms in pan and add more oil if needed. Saute mushrooms until they start to brown – about 5 minutes. Salt lightly and add butter and minced garlic to the pan.
- When the butter has melted pour orzo into the pan and toss to coat it in the butter. Toast the orzo for 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the pan and nestle the seared chicken thighs into the orzo, mushrooms and broth. Make sure all of the orzo is covered in broth to ensure even cooking.
- Place pan in the oven and bake at 400F for 15-17 minutes. Check the chicken thighs for an internal temperature of 165F. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh thyme and serve
- Any type of mushrooms work for this dish just slice into equal sizes slices
- You can use chicken breast instead of thighs but they may take longer to cook – check for an internal temp of 165F
Leave a Comment