This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is a fun way to sneak veggies into your dessert. The shredded zucchini keeps the bread moist and fluffy and you can’t even taste it!
a Treat so tasty you will never guess it has a veggie in it
One of the best things about summer is having a wide variety of fresh veggies to choose from. Even better is coming up with creative recipes to make use of these veggies, just like this delicious chocolate chip zucchini bread.
Zucchini is in season from July to October so this zucchini chocolate chip bread is a perfect recipe to have on repeat all season long. It is simple enough too that you will want to make it again and again.
Whether enjoyed as an afternoon delight or a dessert, this tasty treat allows you to satisfy your chocolate cravings while adding a nutritious vegetable to your daily routine which is a win in my book. The fact that it tastes amazing makes it even better.
- Measuring cups, measuring spoons and a liquid measuring cup
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer
- Large bowl and medium mixing bowl
- Loaf pan – I like to use a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan
- Parchment paper or cooking spray
- Wire rack for cooling
- Toothpick for checking doneness
Tips and Tricks for baking with zucchini
To make this zucchini bread chocolate chip recipe, I highly recommend using a box grater to grate the zucchini. A food processor will also work well if you don’t have a box grater. Be sure to use the shredding blade on the food processor to get fine shreds.
Zucchini adds moisture to this chocolate chip zucchini bread, making it the perfect fluffy consistency. You don’t want excess water though so make sure to use a towel to squeeze the zucchini before adding it to the mix.
This recipe makes a sweet but not-too-sweet treat that goes perfectly as a snack with a cup of tea, coffee, or by itself for dessert. It can really be enjoyed any time of day.
I personally love to serve it in the afternoon with a cup of cold brew coffee. I make my own cold brew at home in the summer and its SO easy!
You can serve leftovers of this chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe cold or warm. I like to spread a little butter over the bread and then I toast it in frying pan. That way the bread has a crisp buttery crust and a soft inside.
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Chocolate chips
This recipe is pretty versatile for any dietary modifications. You can make it gluten-free by using gluten-free flour or you can make it dairy free by using dairy-free chocolate chips.
If you don’t have zucchini, yellow squash will work for this recipe, as well. These veggies may look different but they are very similar taste-wise!
I personally like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe, but you can use dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or even chopped chocolate instead.
Switch up the flavor of this bread slightly by adding nutmeg to the dry ingredients in addition to the cinnamon.
How to make Chocolate chip zucchini bread
Step 1: Preheat oven, prepare loaf pan and prep zucchini
To begin, preheat the oven to 350F. Then, line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease with oil.
While the oven is preheating, trim the ends off the zucchini and shred using a cheese grater. Place the zucchini shreds in a tea towel, squeeze out any excess moisture, and set the zucchini shreds aside.
Step 2: Mix bread batter
Then, in a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth then stir in the shredded zucchini.
In a separate medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a flat spatula. Make sure all of the flour mixture is folded in, but do not over mix the zucchini bread batter.
Step 3: Pour batter and bake
Next, pour batter into a loaf pan and bake at 350F for 60-65 minutes or until it is cooked through and golden brown on the outside. Insert a toothpick into the middle of the loaf and check that it comes out clean.
Allow the loaf to cool completely before removing from the pan. Cut into individual slices and enjoy!
Storage, reheating, and freezing
To store, allow the cake to cool completely. Then, tightly wrap in plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
This chocolate chip zucchini bread is delicious reheated with a cup of coffee or tea. Reheat one slice at a time in a toaster oven or a skillet on the stovetop.
If you want to freeze this chocolate chip zucchini bread, it will be good in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw in the fridge or on the counter before cutting into slices.
Check out these other quick dessert recipes
- Healthy Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup neutral tasting vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease with oil
- Trim the ends off the zucchini and shred using a cheese grater. Place the zucchini shreds in a tea towel and squeeze out any excess moisture. Set zucchini shreds aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla, Whisk until smooth then mix in the shredded zucchini.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Fold dry ingredients into wet with a flat spatula.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan and bake at 350F for 60-65 minutes or until it is cooked through and golden brown on the outside. Insert a toothpick into the middle of the loaf and check that it comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool completely before removing from the pan. Cut into slices and enjoy!