Make a delicious and refreshing Mango Salad for a summer lunch or a side dish. You can also serve it as a dip with tortilla chips.
Juicy mangos are my current go to snack
One food that I consistently wanted to eat during my entire first trimester of pregnancy was mangos. Even if other foods sounded absolutely repulsive to me, I knew I could eat a mango.
I decided to make this mango salad with some extra veggies and black beans for protein so that I could up the nutrients of my usual mango snack. I tossed it all in a spicy sweet dressing.
This mango salad recipe is delicious on its own, served with tortilla chips, or served as a simple summer side dish. My favorite way to enjoy it is straight out of the bowl. It is sweet, tangy and rereshing.
- Sharp knife and cutting board for chopping
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Decorative bowl for serving
How to serve
Like I said this mango salad recipe is delicious as an appetizer with tortilla chips, as a simple, refreshing lunch OR as a side dish. It is perfect to serve alongside grilled meats or seafood.
Some of my favorite grilled meats to serve with this corn pasta salad are:
- Fresh diced mango
- Bell pepper
- Cucumber – I prefer to use english cucumbers because they are seedless
- Black beans
- Fresh cilantro
- Rice vinegar
- Olive oil
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper powder
What type of mango should i use?
You can use any kind of fresh, ripe mango for this mango salad recipe. To make sure your mango is ripe, check that it is soft to the touch and smells very sweet.
Honey mangoes or ataulfo mangoes are my favorite because they are small, super sweet and ripen very quickly. They can be found in most markets in the spring and summer.
The most common mangoes found in the United States are Tommy Atkins mangoes. They are a mix of green, yellow and red. They get more yellow and red as they ripen. These are also delicious, but can take longer to ripen so be sure to buy them ahead of time.
How to make a mango salad
Step 1: Prep ingredients
To begin, rinse and dice bell pepper into small (1/4 inch) pieces. Then, deseed and dice cucumber.
Next, drain and rinse black beans and chop the cilantro.
Step 2: Prepare a simple dressing and toss it all together
Then, pour mango, diced pepper, diced cucumber, black beans and cilantro into a large mixing bowl.
Finally, chill in the fridge and serve. Or serve immediately at room temperature.
Store this summer mango salad in the fridge for up to 5 days. I like to serve it chilled or at room temperature.
Excess liquid may accumulate as this salad sits in the fridge. You can drain it off before serving if it bothers you.
Check out these other summer salads
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- Rinse and dice bell pepper into small (1/4 inch) pieces. Deseed and dice cucumber. Drain and rinse black beans. Chop cilantro.
- Pour mango, diced pepper, diced cucumber, black beans and cilantro into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together rice vinegar, olive oil, honey, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Pour over mixing bowl and toss to coat all of the ingredients in the dressing.
- Chill in the fridge and serve or serve immediately at room temperature.
- You can use precut mango but I recommend chopping it into smaller pieces
- Feel free to use any color bell pepper
- You can use a 1/4 of a jalapeno pepper for extra spice
- Serve on its own, alongside fish or with tortilla chips