This Summer Corn Salad will be your new favorite side dish! This simple corn and tomato salad is made with pastina and fresh basil and is loaded with flavor.
Make this fresh corn salad for the perfect summer side dish
Whether you are headed to a potluck backyard barbecue or just serving your own family, this summer corn salad is the perfect side dish. It is bursting with all of the fresh flavors of summer.
The cooked sweet corn is the perfect compliment to the acidic cherry tomatoes. The fresh basil adds a punch of flavor and the cool cucumber rounds it all out.
It is made with a simple pastina to make it hearty and filling. This corn tomato salad is completely vegan on its own, but you can add cheese to it if you want!
- Large pot and medium sauce pot
- Cutting board and sharp knife
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Wooden spoon for mixing
How to serve
This summer corn salad is the ultimate side dish. Serve it with all of your favorite grilled proteins. I also like to serve it with a simple green salad to boost the veggies in the meal.
When you are cooking dinner on the grill this is the ultimate side dish. It is full of fresh flavors of summer and summer salads are always made better with seasonal produce.
Some of my favorite grilled meats to serve with this corn pasta salad are:
- Fresh sweet corn – use full ears of corn
- Pastina pasta
- Cherry tomatoes
- Extra virgin Olive oil
- Fresh basil
- White balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
I think pastina the perfect size and shape for this recipe, but feel free to use any kind of pasta you like! I think mini shells or stelline would be perfect in this recipe.
You can also use any type of tomatoes for this corn and tomato salad. When I have fresh heirloom tomatoes from my garden, I plan on using those chopped up in place of the cherry tomatoes.
For extra flavor, mix in any of your favorite crumbled cheeses. I think crumbled goat cheese or crumbled feta cheese would work best.
You can use lime juice or red wine vinegar in place of the white balsamic vinegar.
Add any extra veggies that you like to bulk up this salad. You can add things like grilled zucchini, fresh cubed avocado or thinly sliced red onion.
I personally love the taste of fresh basil in summer salad recipes, but you can use any fresh herbs that you like. Cilantro or parsley would be great additions to this salad.
can i use frozen corn?
I prefer to use fresh summer corn while it is in season, but you can make this summer corn salad recipe year round by using frozen corn.
Just steam the frozen corn until it is warmed through. Then, cool slightly and mix into the salad.
How to make summer corn salad
Step 1: Cook pastina and corn
To begin, fill a large pot and a medium sauce pot with salted water. Bring both pots to a boil.
Then, when the water is boiling, place the corn in one pot and the pastina in the other pot. Cook pastina according to package instructions and boil corn until it is fork tender.
Step 2: Prep fresh veggies
While they cook, cut cherry tomatoes into quarters and chop the cucumber into small pieces. Then, remove cooked corn from the pot and allow it to cool.
Step 3: mix it all together
Drain pastina and place in a large mixing bowl. Mix 2 tbsp olive oil in with the pastina and allow it to cool.
Next, cut the corn kernels off the cobs and mix the corn, tomatoes, and cucumber in with the pastina. Cut basil into ribbons and mix in.
Finally, pour in 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of white balsamic vinegar. Toss again and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Store this fresh corn salad in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I like to serve it chilled or at room temperature.
To refresh this salad after it sits in the fridge, toss it with a splash of vinegar and olive oil and place fresh basil on top.
Check out these other summer side dishes
- Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- Herb and Mustard Potato Salad
- Grilled Watermelon Salad
- Sourdough Panzanella Salad
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 3 ears of sweet corn – husks removed
- 1 cup dry pastina pasta
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 seedless english cucumber
- 4 tbsp olive oil (separated)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Fill a large pot and a medium sauce pot with salted water. Bring both pots to a boil. When the water is boiling, place the corn in one pot and the pastina in the other pot.
- Cook pastina according to package instructions and boil corn until it is fork tender.
- While they cook, cut cherry tomatoes into quarters and chop the cucumber into small pieces.
- Remove cooked corn from the pot and allow it to cool. Drain pastina and place in a large mixing bowl. Mix 2 tbsp olive oil in with the pastina and allow it to cool.
- Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and mix the corn, tomatoes, and cucumber in with the pastina. Cut basil into ribbons and mix in.
- Pour in 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of white balsamic vinegar. Toss again and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- use frozen corn in place of fresh ears of corn