This Buffalo Ranch Potato Salad is an easy potato salad recipe made with fresh herbs, ranch, and hot sauce. This ranch potato salad recipe is perfect for a summer BBQ or as a side dish at a party.
Potato salad immediately reminds me of happy summer barbecues
Burgers, hot dogs, ribs or even grilled chicken might be the main focus of many backyard barbecues, but the real stars of the show are the side dishes. This simple and flavorful potato salad recipe would be the perfect addition to your next barbecue or party.
You will be amazed at how easy it is to make this potato salad recipe. Just cook and cool your potatoes. Then, quarter them and mix with hot sauce and ranch dressing. Finish the dish off with some fresh herbs and you are ready to go.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this Buffalo Ranch Potato Salad?
- Large stock pot
- Knife and cutting board
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Wooden mixing spoon
What ingredients will I need to make this ranch potato salad recipe?
- Baby red or white potatoes
- Ranch dressing – I use my homemade ranch dressing
- Hot sauce – I use Frank’s Red Hot hot sauce
- Green onion
- Fresh dill
How long should I boil potatoes for potato salad?
This depends on the size of the potato and whether or not you are cubing the potatoes prior to boiling.
For this recipe I recommend using baby potatoes that are 1.5″ to 2″ in diameter and for potatoes of that size you will only need to boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes.
If you only have access to larger potatoes for this potato salad recipe, still keep them whole when you boil them but boil for a bit longer. For full-size potatoes boil for 20-25 minutes.
You will know they are done when you can easily pierce them with a fork.
How do I make this Buffalo Ranch Potato Salad?
Step 1: Boil the potatoes
First, rinse potatoes and add to a large pot with lots of salt, about 2 tbsp. Then, add cold water to the pot. Bring the water to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Check to make sure potatoes are soft and you can easily pierce them with a fork.
Step 2: Cool and quarter potatoes and prepare the sauce
Then, drain the potatoes and water and return potatoes to the empty pot. Next, add ice cold water to the pot to cool the potatoes. Once chilled quarter the potatoes.
Step 3: Mix it all together and chill
Next, pour the sauce over the potatoes and toss until all potatoes are evenly coated. Add the green onion and dill to the bowl and toss again. Place in the refrigerator to chill for a few hours prior to serving.
Step 4: Enjoy!
How long will this potato salad with ranch dressing keep in the fridge?
Once prepared, store this potato salad in an air tight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Check out these other side dish recipes
- Classic Creamy Coleslaw
- One Pot White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!Print
An easy potato salad recipe flavored with fresh herbs, ranch and hot sauce.
- 3lb baby red or white potatoes
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- Rinse baby potatoes and add to a large stock pot with lots of salt about 2tbsp
- Fill the pot with cold water until the potatoes are fully covered
- Place the pot on the stove top over high heat
- Cook until the water boils. Once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Check to make sure potatoes are soft and you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- Remove the potatoes from the pot, drain the water from the pot and return the potatoes to the empty pot
- Add ice cold water to the pot with the potatoes to chill them
- While the potatoes chill slice the green onion and chop the dill and in a small mixing bowl combine ranch and hot sauce
- Once the potatoes are relatively chilled drain the water and quarter the potatoes
- Take about 3 of the cooked potatoes, peel them and mash them with a fork
- Mix the mashed potatoes in with the hot sauce and ranch dressing
- Pour this mixture over the quartered potatoes and mix thoroughly until all potatoes are coated in the mixture
- Add fresh dill and green onion to the bowl and mix again
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least a few hours and serve chilled
Keywords: buffalo ranch potato salad, ranch potato salad, potato salad with ranch dressing