Satisfy your cravings for comfort food with this super simple One Pot White Cheddar Mac and Cheese recipe. Just add all of your ingredients into one pot. No need to drain your pasta or prepare a sauce in a separate pan.
What makes this mac and cheese different?
You may be thinking, “but Madeline isn’t all mac and cheese one pot?” Well yes and no. This recipe is easier than most because there is no need to drain the pasta or mix a sauce together!
All of the ingredients cook together in the same pot! No need to remove or drain the noodles to prepare the sauce.
This will save you from have to wash some extra items like an extra pan and a colander. It might not be a big deal to you, but when time is tight this recipe is awesome.
What to serve with this white cheddar mac and Cheese
This quick and easy mac n cheese recipe is perfect as a side dish for a weeknight dinner. Serve it with any of the delicious proteins below. It is also a wonderful addition to any simple Thanksgiving dinner menu.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this white cheddar macaroni?
What ingredients will I need to make this one pot mac and cheese?
I wanted this mac and cheese to have the same white cheddar taste as my grandmothers classic baked mac and cheese so I used an extra sharp white cheddar. I highly recommend doing the same so your mac and cheese has lots of flavor.
- Macaroni noodles
- Vegetable broth
- Shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
To make this creamy one pot mac and cheese I recommend using extra sharp white cheddar or unexpected cheddar from Trade Joe’s. If you are not a fan of cheddar, use a blend of shredded gruyere and Swiss cheese.
If you do not have vegetable broth, you can use chicken broth instead. Using some sort of broth or stock is essential to add flavor to this white cheddar mac and cheese.
Let’s make a One Pot White Cheddar Mac and Cheese!
Step 1: Boil macaroni noodles
To begin, add macaroni, vegetable broth, water, and salt to a large pot and mix thoroughly. Then, heat over high heat until the liquid boils, stirring occasionally.
Then, once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer for 6 minutes stirring occasionally.
After 6 minutes the pasta should be tender and almost completely cooked. Depending on the noodle size that you select, your pasta may cook faster or slower.
It is important to check the noodles for doneness as you cook. You are aiming for slightly al dente noodles.
Step 2: Mix in the milk and cheese
Then, once the noodles are cooked to the point of just slightly al dente, turn off the heat. Leave the pot on the stove with the heat off.
Next, pour in the milk and slowly add in the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix constantly until the cheese has melted completely.
Finally, take the pot off the stove and serve!
Step 4: Enjoy!
How long will this white cheddar mac keep in the fridge?
Once prepared, allow the macaroni to cool completely and then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheat with a splash of milk on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Check out these other delicious side dish recipes
- Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans Almondine
- Maple Cinnamon Roasted Kabocha Squash
- Crispy Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Crab Mac and Cheese
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1 lb dry macaroni noodles – or basically any pasta
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese – I used extra sharp white cheddar
- Add macaroni, vegetable broth, water, and salt to a large pot and mix thoroughly
- Heat over high heat until the liquid boils – stirring occasionally
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot with a lid
- Simmer for 6 minutes stirring occasionally
- After 6 minutes the pasta should be tender and almost completely cooked – depending on the noodle size that you select your pasta may cook faster or slower so it is good to check the noodles for doneness as you cook
- Once the noodles are cooked to the point of just slightly al dente, turn off the heat
- Leave the pot on the stove with the heat off and pour in the milk and shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix constantly until the cheese has melted completely
- Take the pot off the stove and serve! I served it with fresh cracked black pepper on top