What breading do you use to make this crispy popcorn chicken?
I wanted to make a simple and healthy-ish air fryer popcorn chicken recipe. I tried using a few different recipes and I could never get the crispy crust just right.
THEN I tried rice krispie cereal and it was PERFECT. The first time I made these air fryer chicken nuggets I just crushed the crisp rice cereal to make the breading. The next time I tried it out I processed the cereal with spices to make the perfect breading.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this air fryer popcorn chicken?
What ingredients will I need to make these healthy chicken nuggets?
You will be amazed at how easy it is to make these air fryer chicken nuggets with simple ingredients.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- Crisp rice cereal – I like Trader Joe’s brand
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Spray oil
How should I serve this air fryer chicken?
I personally love having this homemade popcorn chicken with an assortment of homemade dips and sauces. You can see here that I had them with my creamy honey mustard sauce.
Try these healthy homemade sauces with your popcorn chicken:
- Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce
- Healthy Copycat Chick-fil-A Sauce
Let’s make some Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken!
Step 1: Prepare the breading
Next, pulse until most of the cereal has been crushed into small pieces. Please note, it is okay if some are still larger, this will add a good texture to the popcorn chicken.
Step 2: Bread the popcorn chicken
Then, prepare a breading station by whisking the two eggs in a shallow bowl and pouring the cereal breading mixture into another shallow bowl.
Next, bread the chicken by dipping in the egg and then in the breading.
Finally, place each breaded nugget in an air fryer basket. You may need to cook them in more than one batch.
Step 3: Air fry the chicken nuggets
Then, when all of the chicken is breaded, spray on all sides with a spray oil. Next, place the basket in the air fryer.
Air fry the popcorn chicken at 375F for 10 minutes – tossing once after 5 minutes. Finally, allow the chicken to cool slightly and then enjoy!
Step 4: Enjoy!
If I don’t have an air fryer, can I make these chicken nuggets in an oven?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can make this popcorn chicken recipe in an oven. Preheat the oven to 400F on convection. Lay a rack on a baking sheet. Bake the breaded chicken on the rack at 400F for 15 minutes.
How long will this popcorn chicken keep in the fridge?
Once prepared, allow these gluten free nuggets to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!Print
Gluten-free popcorn chicken that you make in the air fryer in less than 30 minutes.
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Spray oil
- Cut chicken into bite size nuggets
- Add crisp rice cereal to a food processor with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika
- Pulse until most of the cereal has been crushed into small pieces – its okay if some are still larger, this will add good texture to the popcorn chicken
- Prepare a breading station by whisking the two eggs in a shallow bowl and pouring the cereal breading mixture into another shallow bowl
- Bread the chicken by dipping in the egg and then in the breading
- Place each breaded nugget in an air fryer basket – You may need to cook them in more than one batch
- When all of the chicken is breaded, spray on all sides with a spray oil
- Place the basket in the air fryer
- Air fry the popcorn chicken at 375F for 10 minutes – tossing once after 5 minutes
- Allow the chicken to cool slightly and then enjoy!
Keywords: air fryer popcorn chicken, air fryer chicken nuggets, gluten free popcorn chicken