This Curry Chicken Salad recipe is a flavorful twist on a traditional chicken salad. This Whole30 chicken salad recipe is the perfect thing to prep for healthy lunches and snacks throughout the week.
Getting bored with your regular chicken salad? Spice it up with a little curry powder.
I used to think that chicken salad was a really boring lunch recipe, but that was before I knew how to mix it up. Now I know you can start with a base of shredded chicken and mayo and add just about any mix ins you like!
This healthy Whole30 chicken salad recipe is flavored with curry powder and the subtle spice is balanced by the sweetness of carrots and raisins. I also added some chopped celery and cashews for crunch.
You can enjoy this curry chicken salad on its own, on a bed of lettuce, in lettuce cups or on a sandwich. There is basically no wrong way to enjoy this flavorful and healthy chicken salad. It is perfect for meal planning because you can make it on Sunday and enjoy for many lunches that week!
What kitchen tools will I need to make this Curry Chicken Salad?
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Forks or electric hand mixer for shredding chicken
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Mixing bowls
What ingredients will I need to make this healthy chicken salad recipe?
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Mayonnaise – I like Primal Kitchen mayo for a Whole30 friendly mayo
- Curry powder
- Lemon juice
- Shredded carrots
- Roasted cashews
If you don’t like mayo, you can use greek yogurt to make this curry chicken salad. Just mix the greek yogurt in at the same time that you would mix in the mayo.
You can use fresh red grapes or dried cranberries instead of raisins if you do not like raisins. Savory roast chicken and sweet grapes or raisins always taste so good together!
Garnish this savory curried chicken salad recipe with fresh herbs like cilantro or even some sliced green onion.
Can I use a rotisserie chicken to make this chicken salad?
To make this curry chicken salad recipe even easier you can skip the chicken poaching step and use the breast meat from a rotisserie chicken. I like to immediately shred the meat from rotisserie chickens whenever I buy them.
How to serve
Make a simple chicken salad sandwich with this curry chicken salad. Layer it on toasted bread or a roll with fresh romaine lettuce to make the perfect sandwich.
For a simple gluten free option, serve the absolutely delicious chicken salad on chopped lettuce in a large bowl with any other veggies you might like. I like to serve this with extra carrots and celery.
How do I make Curry Chicken Salad?
Step 1: Poach the chicken
First, add your chicken breasts to a pot with cold water. Then, bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot, reduce to a simmer and simmer for 14 minutes.
After 14 minutes remove the chicken from the pot to cool. Once cooled, shred the chicken with 2 forks or an electric hand mixer.
Step 2: Prep the other ingredients
While the chicken cooks and cools, combine the mayo, lemon juice, curry powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Then, slice the celery. Next, place the carrots, celery, raisins, and roasted cashews in a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: Mix it all up
Then, add the cooled shredded chicken to the mixing bowl with the other ingredients. Pour the curry mayo mixture on top and mix it all together. Place in the fridge to chill and serve chilled!
How long will this curry chicken salad recipe keep in the fridge?
Once prepared, store this Curry Chicken salad in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Check out these other healthy chicken salad recipes!
- BLT Chicken Salad
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Salad
- Poppy Seed Chicken Salad
- Bacon Broccoli and Ranch Chicken Salad
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews
- Place the chicken breasts in a pot with cold water
- Bring the water to a boil
- Once boiling put a lid on the pot and reduce to a simmer to poach the chicken
- Simme for 14 minutes and then remove the pot from the heat and the chicken from the pot
- As the chicken cools combine the mayonnaise, curry powder, lemon juice and salt in a small mixing bowl
- Slice the celery into small half moons and add the carrots, celery, raisins, and cashews to a large mixing bowl
- Shred the cooled chicken with two forks or an electric hand mixer and add the shredded chicken to the mixing bowl with the other ingredients
- Pour the curry mayo mixture over all of the ingredients and mix until it is all coated in the mayo mixture
- Place in the refrigerator to chill and serve chilled