This Cast Iron Chicken Thighs recipe makes perfect pan fried chicken thighs using just 3 simple ingredients. Season boneless chicken thighs with chili lime season and pan sear them.
Make this keto chicken thigh recipe with just 3 basic ingredients
When I meal prep my protein for the week I like to make it in bulk and keep the preparation simple. These pan fried chicken thighs are seasoned with a chili lime seasoning blend and cooked quickly in a cast iron skillet.
I chose chili lime seasoning because it is flavorful and slightly spicy without being overwhelmingly spicy. Usually I use Tajin or Trader Joe’s chili lime seasoning.
Both of those already have salt in them which is crucial for getting the proper flavor.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this cast iron chicken thighs recipe?
- Cast iron pan – I like to use a 12″ cast iron skillet for this recipe
- Measuring spoons to measure ingredients
- Plate for seasoning chicken thighs
- Tongs for flipping chicken thighs as they cook
What ingredients will I need to make pan fried chicken thighs?
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Avocado oil
- Chili lime seasoning – I like Tajin or Trader Joe’s version, be sure to use a seasoning blend with salt in it
How to make Cast Iron Chicken Thighs
Step 1: Season chicken thighs and heat oil
To begin, season boneless skinless chicken thighs on all sides with chili lime seasoning. Prepare to cook chicken thighs in two batches as not to crowd the pan.
Step 2: Sear boneless chicken thighs in batchs
When the oil is warm, add half of the seasoned chicken thighs to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes on either side. After 4 minutes reduce the heat slightly to prevent burning.
Continue cooking for 8 more minutes flipping ever 2 minutes. At this point the internal temperature of the chicken thighs should be 165F.
Step 3: Cool, slice and enjoy!
Allow the chicken thighs to cool slightly. Slice or cube and then enjoy!
How to serve these pan fried chicken thighs
My favorite way to serve cast iron chicken thighs is on a salad. I allow the seasoned chicken thighs to cool, then I cube them and put them on a salad.
To add depth to the salad I top it with pickled red onions. Then, I use this Apple Cider Vinaigrette as a simple and flavorful dressing.
Storage and reheating
Once prepared, allow the cast iron chicken thighs to cool fully. Then, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
I like to eat the leftover chicken thighs cold on wrap, sandwich, or salad. If you want to reheat them, do it gently in a pan on the stove.
Check out these other healthy cast iron recipes!
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1.5 tbsp chili lime seasoning – I like to use Tajin or Trader Joe’s. Be sure to use a seasoning blend with salt in it or add salt to the blend
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Season boneless skinless chicken thighs on all sides with chili lime seasoning. Prepare to cook chicken thighs in two batches as not to crowd the pan.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until warm. When the oil is warm add half of the seasoned chicken thighs to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on either side. After 4 minutes reduce the heat slightly to prevent buring.
- Continue cooking for 8 more minutes flipping ever 2 minutes. At this point the internal temperature of the chicken thighs should be 165F. Remove the chicken thighs from the cast iron skillet.
- Add the second half of the avocado oil to the pan over medium heat and repeat the cooking process with the second half of the chicken thighs. Allow the chicken thighs to cool slightly and then enjoy!