This Air Fryer Asparagus recipe is so quick and easy for weeknight eating. It makes the perfect last minute side dish for any dinner.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and convenient – Need a last minute side dish? No problem! This air fryer asparagus takes under 15 minutes to prep and cook. You get the flavor of roasted asparagus with half of the time.
- Healthy side dish – Because asparagus is high in vitamins and fiber and low in calories, it is a great veggie to add to just about any meal or to eat by itself as a healthy snack.
- Customizable to your liking – Asparagus is already pretty flavorful, so I like to keep it simple with some salt, parmesan cheese, and some fresh lemon juice on top. However, this recipe can be customized to use whatever seasoning or toppings you prefer.
Air fryer asparagus can complement just about any meal. One of my favorite ways to serve it is with my Air Fryer Flank Steak and a side of creamy and fluffy Red Mashed Potatoes. It would also go well with Air Fryer Salmon or a chicken recipe of your choosing and a side of vegetables.
Add different toppings to change up the flavor of this dish. I like to use salt, parmesan cheese, and a splash of lemon juice for a classic taste but this dish would also work well with fresh herbs such as parsley, basil, thyme, or dill.
Roast asparagus are a perfect addition to your Sunday meal prep. Cut them into pieces and add to quick salads or grain bowls.
- Asparagus – I look for slightly thicker asparagus stalks. I find that thin asparagus cook too quickly and can even sometimes burn. For ideal tenderness, before cooking asparagus, make sure to trim the woody ends off the asparagus stalks.
- Olive Oil – I usually use extra virgin olive oil but you can use any cooking oil that you prefer. Avocado oil would be another great choice.
- Salt – A little bit of salt really enhances the flavor of asparagus. You could also add pepper or some herbs of your choice.
- Parmesan cheese – I love adding parmesan to asparagus. It adds just the right amount of saltiness and creaminess.
- Lemon – I like to finish the recipe off with a squeeze of lemon for a slightly tangy addition. You can also top the asparagus with a bit of fresh lemon zest.
This air fryer asparagus is a great side dish to serve for a crowd since it is friendly to various dietary restrictions. It is already naturally gluten-free and it can be made dairy-free if necessary by omitting the parmesan cheese.
I like to keep it simple with just a little bit of salt but feel free to add in pepper, any herbs, or even garlic powder. The variations for seasoning are endless.
Lemon is completely optional. If you do not have a lemon on hand or just want to skip this step, this air fryer asparagus will still be just as delicious.
How to make
Step 1: Prepare asparagus
To start, trim the woody ends off of the asparagus spears. You can cut them or snap the ends and where the asparagus breaks off naturally is where the woody end starts.
Then, toss asparagus in oil and salt (Images 1 and 2). Place the asparagus in the air fryer basket in a single layer – you may need to air fry it in 2 batches (Image 3).
Step 2: Cook the asparagus and serve
Then, air fry asparagus at 400F for 6 minutes. After that, sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top, if cooking in batches use only half the cheese per batch (Image 4). Cook for another 2-3 minutes in the air fryer.
You can keep the first batch warm in the oven at 175F while you cook the second batch. Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are several different ways you can cook asparagus but one of my favorite ways is to use the air fryer. This recipe cooks at 400 degrees for 8 minutes in the air fryer.
If asparagus is not crispy, that means it is overcooked. Make sure to follow the cooking temperature and timing. It should cook for 6 minutes before you add the parmesan, and then only 2-3 minutes after that.
When eating asparagus for leftovers, I recommend reheating it briefly in the air fryer at 400F for 5 minutes to crisp it up again.
Storage and reheating
This appetizer is best enjoyed immediately, but if you have leftover asparagus, you can transfer it to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat in the air fryer at 400F for 5 minutes to crisp. Top with fresh parmesan cheese and lemon juice before serving.
Check out these other Air Fryer Recipes for side dishes
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
If you loved this asparagus in the air fryer recipe, check out Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus next!
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1lb asparagus – 1 bunch
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Optional – cheek of fresh lemon
- Trim woody ends off of the asparagus – you can cut them or snap the ends and where the asparagus breaks off naturally is where the woody end starts
- Toss asparagus in oil and salt. Place the asparagus in the air fryer basket in an even layer – you may need to cook it in 2 batches.
- Cook at 400F for 6 minutes – sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top, if cooking in batches use only half the cheese per batch. Cook for another 2-3 minutes in the air fryer.
- You can keep the first batch warm in the oven at 175F while you cook the second batch. Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon
You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.