This Tomato Basil Meatball Soup is a healthy and hearty Whole30 soup! This Italian meatball soup is easy to make and loaded with filling veggies.
Make a delicious and hearty mini meatball soup!
There are a few things that helped me to stay on track during my first Whole30 and having a batch of filling veggie Whole30 soup was one of them. I keep this tomato basil meatball soup recipe in my rotation during the cold winter months.
This hearty meatball soup recipe is loaded with veggies to keep you fuller longer. The recipe calls for cauliflower rice to be blended into the soup, but you can add extra veggies as the soup simmers.
This healthy Whole30 soup is prefect any time of day. It is filling enough to be its own meal, but it could also be a perfect side dish. I prepped this soup last week and have even been enjoying it for breakfast!
What kitchen gear will I need to make this tomato basil meatball soup recipe?
You will need a large soup pot for simmering and cooking this tomato basil soup. I use a dutch oven for cooking all of my healthy soups and stews.
The last thing you will need is an immersion blender or a regular blender. After veggies in this Whole30 tomato basil meatball soup simmer, you will blend them into a thick and creamy soup. You can either blend them directly in the pot or with an immersion blender.
What You Need to Make Italian meatball soup
Mini meatballs ingredients:
Tomato basil soup ingredients:
- Avocado oil
- Fresh garlic
- Yellow onion
- Vegetable broth
- Tomato paste
- Diced tomatoes
- Cauliflower rice – fresh or frozen
- Salt, pepper, dried herbs
- Optional: fresh basil
Yes, you can make the baked mini meatballs with ground turkey or ground chicken. You may need to add slightly more flour to help the meatballs stick together.
Yes, you can use regular all purpose flour, but I recommend using only a 1/4 cup of flour instead of a 1/2 cup of flour.
How to Make Tomato Basil Meatball Soup
To make this hearty and healthy Whole30 soup you will start by baking the mini meatballs. Then you will simmer the veggies for this filling Italian meatball soup. Next, you will blend the soup base to make it creamy. Finally, you will add the meatballs to the soup base and simmer.
Step 1 – Bake the Meatballs
Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine ground beef, egg, almond flour, salt and crushed red pepper in a large mixing bowl until a smooth mixture remains. Using a 1/2 tbsp scoop out 40 scoops onto the baking sheet and roll into tight small balls. Bake for 12 minutes.
Step 2 – Simmer the Base of the Soup
While the meatballs bake, mince the garlic and dice the yellow onion. Heat your soup pot over medium-low heat and add oil, garlic, and onion to the warm pot. Saute the garlic and onions until soft and fragrant about 4 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, dried basil and dried oregano to the pot and mix. Then, mix in the tomato paste. Pour in the vegetable broth, water, diced tomatoes, and cauliflower rice. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 3 – Blend the Soup
After the soup simmers for 20 minutes, turn off the heat and blend. You can either blend in the pot with an immersion blender or blend in a standard blender in batches and then return to the pot.
Step 4 – Simmer Again!
Add the cooked meatballs back into the soup pot and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
Allow this healthy tomato basil meatball soup to cool completely. Then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe bowl.
Can I freeze this tomato basil meatball soup?
Yes! Of course, you can make a big batch of this healthy Whole30 meatball soup and store it in the freezer for later. To do this I like to allow the soup to cool completely and then store in individual airtight containers for easy defrosting.
Can I make this tomato basil meatball soup vegetarian?
Yes! If you are on a vegan or vegetarian diet you can easily alter this soup to fit your needs! You can replace the beef meatballs with some vegan lentil meatballs like these ones.
Check out these other delicious soup recipes!
- Creamy Chicken and Brown Rice Soup
- Classic Vegetable Soup (Progresso Copycat)
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- Sweet Potato Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
Keep reading to grab the full recipe for this healthy and hearty Whole30 soup! If you make this please let me know in the comments below or on my Instagram!
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine ground beef, egg, almond flour, salt and crushed red pepper in a large mixing bowl until a smooth mixture remains
- Using a 1/2 tbsp scoop, scoop our 40 scoops onto the baking sheet and roll into tight small balls
- Bake for 12 minutes
- While the meatballs bake, mince the garlic and dice the yellow onion
- Heat your soup pot over medium-low heat and add oil, garlic, and onion to the warm pot
- Saute the garlic and onions until soft and fragrant, about 4 minutes
- Add salt, pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano to the pot and mix
- Mix in the tomato paste
- Pour in the vegetable broth, water, diced tomatoes, and cauliflower rice
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes
- After the soup simmers for 20 minutes, turn off the heat
- Either blend the soup directly in the pot with an immersion blender or blend in a standard blender in batches and return to the pot
- Add the cooked meatballs back into the soup pot and simmer for an additional 10 minutes
- Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!