Sweet Potato and Sausage Curry Soup is the perfect comforting, winter dish. This sweet potato curry soup is Whole30 and paleo friendly and comes together in less than an hour.
Make this sausage soup for a healthy Whole30 dinner!
Winter is soup season. From about September to April I always make at least one big pot of soup each week.
This sweet potato curry soup is the perfect blend of two of my favorite things: creamy coconut curry and a hearty meat soup! Add in some cubed sweet potato and this is pretty much a bowl of all of my favorite things.
What kitchen tools do you need to make this Sweet Potato and Sausage Curry Soup?
I love how easy it is to make this healthy Whole30 soup. You do not need any fancy gadgets to put this together in less than an hour.
What ingredients do you need to make this sweet potato curry soup recipe?
- Garlic cloves
- Yellow onion
- Avocado oil
- Sweet potatoes
- Ground pork
- Coconut milk
- Vegetable broth
- LOTS of warming and comforting spices!
Can I make this coconut curry soup vegetarian?
Yes! You can easily make this dish vegetarian or even fully vegan by swapping the ground pork for a plant based ground meat substitute.
Many brands now have vegan crumbles that would work perfectly in place of the ground pork in this recipe.
Let’s make some Sweet Potato and Sausage Curry Soup!
Step 1 – Prepare the sweet potatoes
To begin, prepare your ingredients. Peel and cube sweet potatoes, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
Step 2 – Sauté and brown the pork sausage
Then, heat the dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the oil, onion, and garlic.
Sauté until soft and fragrant. Then, add the ground pork to the pan and brown the pork.
Finally, add the spice mixture to the pan and stir it in completely.
Step 3 – Simmer the sweet potato curry soup
Next, add sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, and coconut milk to the pot and stir gently.
Then, bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 4 – Enjoy!
Finally, remove the soup from the heat. Allow the soup to cool slightly, garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
Can I just use curry powder to simplify this sweet potato soup?
YES! You can use curry powder to make this recipe even easier!
The seasonings that I listed here are very similar to a curry powder mixture. You can use about 2 tbsp of curry powder and some extra salt.
Can I freeze this sweet potato and sausage curry soup?
Yes! Allow the soup to cool fully and then store in airtight containers with a little extra space. Soup will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Keep reading to find the full recipe for this easy, delicious, and healthy Whole30 soup! If you make this sweet potato and sausage curry soup please let me know in the comments or on Instagram!Print
Sweet potato curry soup made with simple ingredients like ground pork, coconut milk and warming spices.
- Dice the yellow onion and mince garlic cloves
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes into bite-sized cubes
- Add avocado oil, onion and garlic to a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat
- Heat the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes tossing frequently
- Increase the heat to medium and add the ground pork to the pan
- Cook and brown the pork and break up into small crumbles for about 5 minutes
- Combine salt, ginger, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, and pepper in a small bowl and add spice mixture to the pot
- Add cubed sweet potato, coconut milk, and vegetable broth to the pot and stir gently, increase heat to high
- Allow the soup to simmer covered for 20 minutes then remove from heat
- Allow the soup to cool slightly and then enjoy!
Soup will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator of up to 3 weeks in the freezer
Keywords: sweet potato curry, sweet potato curry soup, sausage soup