Use this Strawberry Valentine’s Snack Mix recipe to make a delicious sweet chex mix. I added Valentine’s Day M&Ms and a secret ingredient to make this strawberry chex mix recipe.
This festive sweet and salty chex mix is the perfect Valentine’s day snack!
I don’t miss much about elementary school, but I LOVED Valentine’s day. I loved writing individual notes to all of my classmates and delivering treats to each person at their desk.
Now that I am an adult I have to make my own Valentines day magic with romantic dinners and festive treats like this strawberry Chex mix.
My wife and I do our best to plan a reservation at a fun restaurant. Even if we don’t go on February 14th, we celebrate the day somehow.
Other than that I try to make treats for family, friends and coworkers. This easy and delicious Valentine’s chex mix would be the perfect thing to make and package into individual bags for family and friends.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this simple sweet Chex mix?
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons for measuring ingredients
- Small bowl or double boiler for melting white chocolate with coconut oil
- Large mixing bowl for tossing all snack mix ingredients together
- Baking sheet and parchment paper for cooling sweet and salty chex mix
What ingredients will I need to make this strawberry white chocolate chex mix?
I wanted to make a strawberry Chex mix, but I didn’t want to have complicated ingredients. As I browsed the aisles of my local grocery store for ingredients, I stumbled upon a box of strawberry jello mix and thought, “Maybe I can use this!”
To my pleasant surprise, I was able to mix a tablespoon of the strawberry jello mix into the white melting chocolate to add a delicious and subtle strawberry flavor to this sweet and salty chex mix.
- Rice chex cereal
- Mini pretzel twists
- White chocolate chips or white chocolate candy melts
- Coconut oil – use refined to avoid any coconut taste
- Strawberry Jello Mix
- M&Ms – I used the Valentine’s day mix to make it extra festive
How do I make a gluten free chex mix?
You can simply make this recipe into a gluten free chex mix recipe by double checking your labels and swapping some ingredients. The rice chex, white chocolate, m&ms, coconut oil and jello mix should already be gluten free.
Swap the regular mini pretzels for a gluten free mini pretzel option. You can also use some broken up gluten free pretzel thins!
For this Valentine chex mix recipe, the strawberry flavoring comes from strawberry jello. You could also use a few drops of a strawberry extract and a few drops of red food coloring to get the light pink color.
I personally like to use rice chex for this strawberry chex mx recipe, but you can use corn chex or wheat chex instead. You can also use dark chocolate or peanut M&Ms in place os the the regular M&Ms.
I like to use mini pretzel twists. If you can only find full size pretzels, break them into pieces before adding them to the large bowl to mix.
Let’s make a Strawberry Valentine’s Snack Mix!
Step 1: Prepare strawberry white chocolate mixture
To begin, combine rice chex and mini pretzels in a large mixing bowl. Then, melt white chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a double boiler or in the microwave.
Be careful not to overcook your chocolate. If using the microwave, melt in 30 second increments, mixing between each increment.
Then, when the chocolate is melted and smooth, mix the strawberry jello mix powder into the warm, but not too hot melted white chocolate.
Step 2: Toss snack mix in melted white chocolate
Immediately pour the strawberry white chocolate mixture over the rice Chex and pretzels. Toss the mixture immediately with a spatula and mix until each piece is evenly coated with the white chocolate mixture.
Step 3: Cool and enjoy the white chocolate chex mix!
Then, mix the M&M’s into the bowl with the spatula. Pour the entire mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and allow to cool completely.
Once cooled, enjoy immediately or store at room temperature on the counter in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
How should I store this strawberry Valentine’s Snack mix?
I like to store this sweet Chex mix on my counter at room temperature. Once the mix has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight container.
Store in the airtight container on the counter for up to one week (if it lasts that long!!)
Try these other homemade snack mix recipes!
- Buffalo Snack Mix – Savory chex mix tossed in a buffalo sauce
- Maple Cinnamon Snack Mix – Sweet chex mix tossed in a white chocolate maple mixture
- Leprechaun Snack Mix – Perfect for St. Patty’s Day
- Christmas Chex Mix Recipe with M&M’s – Make and give as a gift during the holidays!
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 3 cups rice chex mix
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 1 and 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (use refined coconut oil for no coconut taste)
- 1 tbsp strawberry jello mix
- 1/2 cup M&M’s (I used the Valentines Day mix)
- Combine rice chex and mini pretzels in a large mixing bowl
- Melt white chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a double boiler or in the microwave. Be careful not to overcook your chocolate. If using the microwave, melt in 30 second increments, mixing between each increment.
- Mix the strawberry jello mix powder into the warm, but not too hot melted white chocolate
- Immediately pour the strawberry white chocolate mixture over the chex and pretzels. Toss the mixture immediately with a spatula and mix until each piece is evenly coated with the white chocolate mixture
- Mix the M&M’s into the bowl with the spatula. Pour the entire mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and allow to cool completely
- Once cooled, enjoy immediately or store at room temperature on the counter in an airtight container for up to 1 week.