Make Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies with just three simple ingredients! Mix cake mix, eggs and oil to bake up soft and chewy strawberry cookies.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Festive and beautiful – The pink strawberry cookies are a beautiful color that is perfect for holidays like Valentine’s Day or Easter. They are also fun for a birthday party because of their delicious strawberry flavor and bright pink color.
- Only 3 ingredients needed – you really only need the strawberry cake mix, eggs and oil to make these cookies. Any other ingredients are just extras to make them even more delicious.
- Turn into sandwich cookies – make or buy some buttercream frosting, spread it over half the cookies. Then, press two cookies together to make delicious and festive sandwich cookies. You can even add a bit of strawberry jelly in the middle of the cookies.
These simple strawberry cookies are the perfect festive treat for Valentines Day. I also like to make this Strawberry Valentines Snack Mix for a SUPER easy Valentines Day treat!! Pack it up in little baggies and hand it out as Valentines. If you’re staying in and watching a movie, you need to make a batch of this Sweet and Salty Strawberry Popcorn.
- Strawberry cake mix – the boxed cake mix is the backbone of this cookie recipe. Thanks to the balanced cake mix all you need are eggs and oil in addition to it. I personally like to use Betty Crocker Super Moist Strawberry Cake Mix, but you can use any other brand like Pillsbury or Duncan Hines.
- Large eggs – eggs, oil and cake mix are the only 3 ingredients you need to make rich, chewy, and pillowy strawberry cookies.
- Vegetable oil – I used avocado oil for this recipe, but you can use any neutral tasting vegetable oil. You could also use melted butter for a richer flavor.
- Sugar – roll the chilled cookie dough in granulated sugar before baking. This is optional, but leaves a gorgeous crinkled texture on the exterior of each cookie.
The pink strawberry cookies have delightful flavor and are perfect for Valentine’s Day or a spring party, but there are some many other cake mix cookie recipes.
You can use vanilla cake mix and roll the in sprinkles to make a super simple sugar cookie. Try a box of devils food cake mix and some dark chocolate chips to make rich and gooey chocolate cake mix cookies.
I used avocado oil for these strawberry cookies, but you can use any neutral oil. Most people use a standard vegetable oil like canola oil. You can also use refined coconut oil, but be sure to melt it before measuring.
Roll the cookie dough balls in powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar before you lay them on the cookie sheets. The powdered sugar makes them look like red strawberry crinkle cookies.
Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to intensify the flavor of the cookies. Feel free to add chocolate chips or white chocolate chips to these cookies to add a little something extra! You could even make strawberry cheese cake cookies by topping them with a dollop cream cheese whipped with powdered sugar before baking
Make them strawberry sandwich cookies by filling the middle of a set of two cookies with a swirl of buttercream frosting and strawberry jam.
Step 1: Mix dough
To begin, crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and pour the oil into the bowl. Whisk them together until smooth and even (Image 1).
Pour the bag of cake mix into the bowl and fold it into the wet ingredients with a flat spatula (Image 2). Mix until all of the dry cake mix is evenly mixed into the batter (Image 3).
Step 2: Chill and Roll Dough in Sugar
Then, cover the bowl and place it in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Pour granulated sugar into a small shallow bowl. Scoop out 2 tbsp of chilled dough for each cookie with a small cookie scoop (Image 4).
Roll the dough in the sugar (Image 5). Then, place the dough ball on a baking sheet with some space between each ball (Image 6). I bake them in 2 batches of 8 cookies
Step 3: Bake and Cool
Finally, bake at 325F for 12-14 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storage and freezing
Allow the strawberry cookies to cool completely to room temperature and then transfer to an airtight container. Store on the counter for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Freeze fully baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Remove cookies from the freezer one at a time or thaw the whole batch at once.
Do you like the idea of simplifying recipes with cake mix? Try this Easy Pumpkin Cake with Yellow Cake Mix recipe!
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1 (15oz) box strawberry cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (you can also use avocado oil or melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and pour the oil into the bowl. Whisk them together until smooth and even.
- Pour the bag of cake mix into the bowl and fold it into the wet ingredients with a flat spatula. Mix until all of the dry cake mix is evenly mixed into the batter.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour granulated sugar into a small shallow bowl. Scoop out 2 tbsp of chilled dough for each cookie with a small cookie scoop. Roll the dough in the sugar and place the dough ball on a baking sheet with some space between each ball – I bake them in 2 batches of 8 cookies
- Bake at 325F for 12-14 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- This recipe will work with any type of cake mix. You can make cookies with vanilla cake, yellow cake, chocolate cake or event red velvet cake.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to a week