This Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas recipe is an easy and delicious Whole30 dinner. This healthy 30-minute meal is so simple to make. All you need to do is chop your ingredients and toss them into the Instant Pot to cook!
This simple Instant Pot fajita recipe could not be easier.
I was literally eating the chicken out of the Instant Pot with a fork as soon as it finished.
There is very little skill needed to make this healthy and delicious 30-minute meal, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be fancy! You can really take this recipe up a notch by serving it with lots of fun toppings.
I served mine with Siete Foods almond flour tortillas, cilantro, lime, and avocado. If I was on the Whole30 I would replace the tortillas with some cauliflower rice and make a hearty bowl.
What kitchen gear will I need to make this healthy Whole30 Instant Pot meal?
The main instructions call for a pressure cooker like an Instant Pot. The easiest way to make this recipe is with an Instant Pot, but that is not the only way to make Whole30 chicken fajitas. You can also make them on the stovetop in a frying pan or in a slow cooker.
What ingredients will I need to make these Instant Pot chicken fajitas?
I tried to pair down this fajita recipe to keep it as simple as possible. To simplify this list even further you could use 2 tbsp of a taco seasoning in place of all of the spices. I like this one from Primal Palate.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – can sub thighs
- Bell peppers
- Red onion
- Chili powder
- Black Pepper
- Chicken broth or chicken bone broth
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
Step 1: Prep the Chicken and Veggies
To begin, slice the bell peppers, red onion, and chicken breast into thin strips. Add the veggies and chicken to an Instant Pot.
Step 2: Add some spices
Then, combine the chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, and black pepper in a small bowl. Add the chicken broth to the spices and mix thoroughly.
Pour this mixture over the chicken and veggies and toss until fully coated.
Step 3: Cook under pressure
Next, set the Instant Pot to sealing and cook under high pressure (manual) for 8 minutes. Finally, manually release pressure.
Optional Step 4: Thicken the sauce
Combine 1/2 tbsp of arrowroot starch and 2 tbsp warm water in a small bowl. While stirring the fajitas pour in the water and starch mixture.
Stir constantly un the sauce thickens, about one minute. Turn the IP off and enjoy!
What if I don’t have an instant pot? Can I make Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas on the stovetop or in a crockpot?
Yes! On the stovetop, I would sauté the chicken and veggies separately in avocado oil until almost fully cooked through. Then I would add them to the same pan with the sauce and sauté for an additional 10 minutes.
To make this recipe in the crockpot I would follow the same instructions as Instant Pot, but instead of cooking under pressure you will cook on Low heat for 3-4 hours. I have not personally tested this, but this is a similar crockpot recipe.
Check out these other Whole30 Instant Pot recipes!
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Shredded Chicken
- Short Rib Ragu
- Easy Instant Pot Meatballs
- Whole30 Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef
- Cut bells peppers, red onion, and chicken into thin strips and add to the Instant Pot
- Combine chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl
- Pour the chicken broth into the spice mixture and combine fully
- Pour the broth and spices into the Instant Pot and stir to combine all the ingredients
- Close the instant pot and set the vent to sealing
- Set the Instant Pot on manual for 8 minutes – the IP will come to pressure (about 10 minutes) and then cook
- After 8 minutes of cooking at pressure the Instant Pot will beep. Manually release the pressure and remove the lid
- If you want a slightly thicker sauce set the Instant Pot to saute and combine 1/2 tbsp of arrowroot starch with 2 tbsp of warm water, pour the mixture into the Instant Pot while stirring the fajitas
- Continue stirring for a minute or so as the sauce thickens
- Turn off the Instant Pot and enjoy on tortillas, rice or cauliflower rice
* makes 2 large servings or 4 small servings if serving with other items