Make a healthy Chicken Fajita Salad in less than 20 minutes. Sauté chicken breast in fajita seasoning blend and serve on a salad with lots of toppings.
Delicious and healthy chicken fajita salad made in less than 20 minutes
I originally wanted to call this quick and easy chicken fajita salad a 20 minute taco bowl, but its definitely more like a fajita than a taco. It takes 20 minutes to throw this simple fajita salad together.
For now I bring you perfectly season and juicy fajita chicken with sautéed fajita veggies. Add any toppings that your heart desires.
I use a simple trick to cook the marinated chicken for this quick and easy chicken fajita salad. A friend of mine recently told me that she buys chicken at the store and either gets too intimidated to cook it and it goes bad before she makes it or she makes it and totally overcooks it because shes too worries she will under cook the chicken and get sick!
I get around this issue by cubing the chicken and cooking it in extra marinade. this is a much more forgiving process and ensures that you will end up with juicy, well seasoned chicken.
Plus, if you aren’t sure if its done or not you can always grab just one cube from the pan and test it without having to cut into a full breast.
When choosing the toppings for this quick and easy chicken fajita salad you can be as creative as you want! I can definitely see myself making this during Whole30 without the dairy products or chips and adding some guac and a cabbage slaw to change up the toppings.
If you take any of my advice for this fajita salad, don’t sleep on the crumbled tortilla chips. They add a perfect salty crunch to this bowl.
I didn’t include a dressing for this fajita salad because I used my pico and lime wedge like a dressing, but if you want one, I recommend a simple lime vinaigrette to compliment the flavors of the bowl.
How to make a Chicken Fajita Salad
It could not be easier to throw together this quick and easy chicken fajita salad in 20 minutes or less. Just gather all of your ingredients and get to work. Start by cubing your chicken and tossing in the fajita marinade.
Then, chop the fajita veggies. Throw the fajita veggies and the cubed chicken on the stove top to cook while you assemble the other elements of your bowls.
I like to shred my romaine super thin for this because it reminds me of the shredded iceberg lettuce that comes on top of fajitas at Chilis.
Once the veggies and chicken are cooked through, you are ready to assemble your salads!
Scroll down below to check out the full recipe and, as always, if you make this recipe, please share your version with me on Instagram!
Fajita Seasoned Chicken
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp lime juice
Fajita Salad Ingredients
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup crumbled tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 Fresh lime wedges
- Cube chicken breast into bite size pieces. Combine spices and lime juice in a large mixing bowl to make a marinade. Toss chicken in the marinade until all pieces are evenly coated.
- Slice bell peppers and red onions into thin strips. Heat 1 tbsp oil in each of 2 separate pans over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion to one pan and chicken with marinade for another.
- Cook peppers and onions over medium heat for 12 minutes tossing frequently. Cook chicken over medium heat until the internal temperature reaches 165F about 12 minutes.
- While the peppers and chicken cook, chop romaine lettuce into thin ribbons. Remove chicken and peppers and onions from heat.
- Assemble salads with romaine lettuce, chicken, peppers and onions, pice de gallo, cheese, sour cream, lime wedges and tortilla chips