Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
Make this Grilled Marinated Flank Steak recipe your new go-to summer grilling recipe. This flank steak marinade is nightshade-free and Whole30 compliant. It gives the steak a delicious versatile flavor that you can use for many different meals!
Tenderize and marinate your flank steak for a juicy and flavorful steak
Flank steak tends to be a tougher cut of steak, but that does not mean it can’t also be delicious. This is a basic recipe that you can use to make a super flavorful and juicy flank steak on your grill.
Start by tenderizing your meat with a meat tenderizer. Then, place the steak in the marinade and marinade for at least 4 hours prior to grilling. Doing those two things will make for a delicious flank steak that is perfect for burrito bowls, tacos and salads.
What should i serve this with?
I like to make my full meal on the grill in the summer so hear are some of my favorite grilling side dishes.
- Grilled Caesar Salad Recipe
- Easy Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- Grilled Shrimp and Corn Salad
- Grilled Watermelon Salad
What kitchen tools will I need to make this Whole30 compliant marinated steak?
- Meat tenderizer
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Mixing bowls
What ingredients will I need to make this Marinated Grilled Flank Steak?
- Flank steak
- Garlic cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coconut aminos (you can use soy sauce if not trying to be soy free)
Can I use this flank steak marinade for other meats?
Yes you can use this marinade recipe for any kind of beef or chicken. This marinade is perfect for chicken thighs, skirt steak, cubed chuck steak or even cubed chicken breast.
Let’s make some Marinated Grilled Flank Steak!
Step 1: Prepare the steak and marinade
To begin, tenderize the flank steak by pounding with a meat tenderizer. Then, smash garlic cloves with the back of a knife.
Add garlic cloves to a bowl with the olive oil, coconut aminos, cumin, salt and pepper and mix marinade thoroughly. Next, add flank steak to the bowl with the marinated and toss to coat the steak.
Step 2: Marinate the steak
Then, cover the bowl and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours.
Step 3: Prepare the grill
Thirty minutes prior to cooking, remove the steak from the fridge to bring the steak to room temperature. Then, heat the grill to high heat. Prior to grilling, allow the crushed garlic cloves and excess marinade to drip off the steak prior to grilling to avoid flames in the grill.
Step 4: Grill, rest and slice
Next, add the steak to the hot grill. Cook over direct heat for 2-3 minutes each side. Then, move the steak to very low heat and cook until the internal temperature reaches 130F for medium-rare.
Finally, allow the steak to rest on a plate or cutting board for 10 minutes. Then, slice into slices against the grain. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Step 5: Enjoy!
How long will this Whole30 friendly flank steak keep in the fridge?
Once prepared, store this flank steak in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
Check out these other awesome grilling recipes!
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
A simple marinade for juicy and flavorful grilled flank steak.
- 1.5 lb flank steak
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (can use soy sauce)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Tenderize the flank steak by pounding with a meat tenderizer
- Smash garlic cloves with the back of a knife
- Add garlic cloves to a bowl with the olive oil, coconut aminos, cumin, salt and pepper and mix marinade thoroughly
- Add flank steak to the bowl with the marinated and toss to coat the steak
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours
- Remove the steak from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking to bring the steak to room temperature
- Heat the grill to high heat
- Allow the crushed garlic cloves and excess marinade to drip off the steak prior to grilling to avoid flames in the grill
- Add the steak to the hot grill
- Cook over direct heat for 2-3 minutes each side
- Move the steak to very low heat and cook until the internal temperature reaches 130F for medium-rare
- Allow the steak to rest on a plate or cutting board for 10 minutes
- Slice into slices against the grain
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
Leave a Comment