Marinated Grilled Flank Steak
This Marinated Grilled Flank Steak will be your new go-to summer grilling recipe. Just marinate the meat in a simple steak marinade and then quickly grill it up.
Tenderize and marinate your flank steak for a juicy and flavorful steak
Flank steak tends to be a tougher cut of steak, but that does not mean it can’t also be delicious. This is a basic recipe that you can use to make a super flavorful and juicy flank steak on your grill. You won’t even realize that is it a relatively lean cut of beef.
Up the tenderness by marinating the steak for a while before grilling. Using a meat tenderizer will not only softer the muscle fibers of the meat, but also will infuse the flavor of the marinade into the steak.
Once you’ve tenderized your meat with a meat tenderizer, place the steak in the marinade in a bag or in a large bowl. Cover the bowl and marinate for at least 4 hours prior to grilling.
- Meat tenderizer
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Mixing bowls
- Meat thermometer
- Gas grill, charcoal grill, grill pan or cast-iron skillet
This flank steak recipe will be the star of your summer meal. When I make this meat I like to make my full meal on the grill so that I don’t dirty my kitchen.
You can simply toss some chopped veggies in extra virgin olive oil and grill in a grill basket. Or you can use one of these recipes for awesome grilling side dishes:
- Grilled Caesar Salad Recipe
- Easy Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- Grilled Shrimp and Corn Salad
- Grilled Watermelon Salad
Leftover flank steak is perfect for salads, steak fajitas or even steak quesadillas. It even tastes so good for breakfast as a little steak and egg combo!
What ingredients will I need to make this Marinated Grilled Flank Steak?
- Flank steak
- Garlic cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Soy sauce or Coconut aminos
- Kosher Salt
The soy sauce adds the majority of the flavor to this marinade. If you want a more acidic flavor, you can use red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar or lime juice in place of the soy sauce.
You can also add just a dash of worcestershire sauce to really deepen the flavor of the marinade. Use fresh herbs like fresh rosemary or fresh parsley to add even more flavor. Just finely mince the herbs before mixing them into the marinade.
Can I use this flank steak marinade for other meats?
Yes you can use this marinade recipe for any kind of beef or chicken. This marinade is perfect for chicken thighs, skirt steak, cubed chuck steak or even cubed chicken breast.
Let’s make some Marinated Grilled Flank Steak!
Step 1: Prepare the steak and marinade
To begin, tenderize the flank steak by pounding with a meat tenderizer. Then, smash garlic cloves with the back of a knife.
Add garlic cloves to a bowl with the olive oil, coconut aminos, cumin, salt and pepper and mix marinade thoroughly. Next, add flank steak to the bowl with the marinated and toss to coat the steak.
Step 2: Marinate the steak
Then, cover the bowl and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours.
Step 3: Prepare the grill
Thirty minutes prior to cooking, remove the steak from the fridge to bring the steak to room temperature. Then, heat the grill to high heat. Prior to grilling, allow the crushed garlic cloves and excess marinade to drip off the steak prior to grilling to avoid flames in the grill.
Step 4: Grill, rest and slice
Next, add the steak to the hot grill. Cook over direct heat for 2-3 minutes each side. Then, move the steak to very low heat and cook until the internal temperature reaches 130F for medium-rare.
Finally, allow the steak to rest on a plate or cutting board for 10 minutes. Then, slice into slices against the grain. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
storage and reheating
Once prepared, store this flank steak in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
I like to enjoy the leftovers cold on a salad or a wrap, but you can reheat them if you prefer that. Just thinly slice the steak and gently warm in a pan on the stovetop until just warmed through.
Leftover flank steak is the perfect thing to use for a steak quesadilla.
Check out these other awesome grilling recipes!
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
A simple marinade for juicy and flavorful grilled flank steak.
- 1.5 lb flank steak
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (can use soy sauce)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Tenderize the flank steak by pounding with a meat tenderizer
- Smash garlic cloves with the back of a knife
- Add garlic cloves to a bowl with the olive oil, coconut aminos, cumin, salt and pepper and mix marinade thoroughly
- Add flank steak to the bowl with the marinated and toss to coat the steak
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours
- Remove the steak from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking to bring the steak to room temperature
- Heat the grill to high heat
- Allow the crushed garlic cloves and excess marinade to drip off the steak prior to grilling to avoid flames in the grill
- Add the steak to the hot grill
- Cook over direct heat for 2-3 minutes each side
- Move the steak to very low heat and cook until the internal temperature reaches 130F for medium-rare
- Allow the steak to rest on a plate or cutting board for 10 minutes
- Slice into slices against the grain
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
Leave a Comment