Strawberry Pound Cake
This decadent Strawberry Pound Cake recipe reminds me of a slice of buttered toast with strawberry jam. It is the perfect summer dessert.
Make pound cake even better with fresh, ripe strawberries
Growing up my grandmother always had at least half a pound cake in the fridge with a thin layer of vanilla icing on top. It was thick, buttery and the perfect snack after school or work.
This strawberry pound cake reminds me of those days with my family. The simple even ratio of butter, flour, sugar and eggs results in a cake that is denser than most others, but not as sweet.
The diced strawberries add texture and flavor that is not present in a standard pound cake. They melt into the batter slightly as they are cooking creating a flavor that is reminiscent of a slice of buttered toast with strawberry jam.
- Measuring cups, measuring spoons and a liquid measuring cup
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer
- Large bowl and medium mixing bowl
- Loaf pan
- Parchment paper or cooking spray
- Wire rack for cooling
- Toothpick for checking doneness
Why is it called pound cake?
Pound cake gets its name from the simple ingredient ratio of one pound each of butter, sugar, flour and eggs. This strawberry cake is made in a loaf pan so I have reduced the ratio to be closer to a half pound of each.
This recipe makes a rich, dense and buttery cake that is perfect when served with a cup of coffee of tea. The strawberries add a bright and sweet flavor to the cake.
Serve it on its own or with homemade whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I like to buy some extra strawberries to chop and serve on top of the cake.
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Large eggs
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Fresh strawberries
This recipe is pretty straightforward and there aren’t a lot of possible substitutions, but you can use different types of fruits. During cherry season you could pit cherries and cut them into pieces.
Make a delicious orange or grapefruit pound cake by first zesting the citrus fruit and mixing that in with the batter. Then, serve each slice with some of the citrus fruit sections.
It is best to use fresh strawberries for this recipe. If you cannot find them fresh, use 1/2 cup of freeze dried strawberry slices.
Make a simple strawberry glaze
If you want to add even more strawberry flavor to this strawberry cake recipe, make a strawberry glaze to pour on top. Blend fresh strawberries to make a simple strawberry puree.
Take 3 tbsp of the puree, 1 tbsp of milk and mix it with 1 cup of powdered sugar. Pour the glaze over top of the fully cooled cake and serve.
How to make strawberry pound cake
Step 1: Preheat oven and prepare loaf pan
To begin, preheat oven to 325F and line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper. Be sure to use a larger loaf pan because 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pans are too small for this recipe.
Step 2: Mix cake batter
Then, mix butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy with an electric hand mixer. Mix in eggs one at a time and then mix in the sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract.
Next, in a separate bowl combine all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix dry flour mixture into wet ingredients.
Step 3: Fold in strawberries and bake
Finally, pour batter into the prepared pan. Pour diced strawberries on top and gently mix them into the top half of the batter with a spoon. This will prevent all of the strawberries from sinking to the bottom.
Bake at 325F for 70 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow loaf to cool completely before slicing.
Storage, reheating and freezing
Allow the cake to cool completely. Then, tightly wrap in plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
I like to reheat this strawberry cake to have with coffee or tea. Reheat one slice at a time in a toaster oven or on a skillet on the stove top in a bit of melted butter.
Can I freeze this strawberry pound cake? Yes! Just bake, cool completely and freeze it whole. It will be good in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw in the fridge or on the counter before cutting into slices.
Check out these other summer dessert recipes
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
Photos by Ella from Alpine Ella.
Strawberry Pound Cake
Make a delicious pound cake recipe swirled with fresh, ripe strawberries.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 and ½ cups diced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper. **8.5 x 4.5 loaf pans are too small for this recipe.
- Mix butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy with an electric hand mixer
- Mix in eggs one at a time and then mix in the sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix dry ingredients into wet.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Pour diced strawberries on top and gently mix them into the top half of the batter with a spoon – this will prevent all of the strawberries from sinking to the bottom.
- Bake at 325F for 70 minutes. Allow loaf to cool completely before slicing.
- omit the strawberries for a standard pound cake recipe
- serve with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries
Leave a Comment