Grilled Watermelon Salad
Prepare this Grilled Watermelon Salad for your next backyard barbecue! Toss smokey, bbq watermelon with feta, cucumber and mint for the perfect salad.
Add a nice smokey flavor to watermelon salad by grilling the watermelon pieces first
I love a fresh watermelon salad but I wanted to see if I could take the flavor up a notch by grilling the watermelon before tossing it with the other salad ingredients. The watermelon becomes nice a smokey which is a perfect compliment to its naturally sweet flavor.
I cut a large watermelon into sticks and then grilled them. Then, I cut those into cubes and tossed them with cucumber, feta, mint and a simple vinaigrette.
What should i serve with this grilled watermelon recipe?
This bbq watermelon salad is a perfect side dish for a backyard barbecue. You can prep this on the grill prior to grilling some of these things too!
- Grilled Surf and Turf Skewers
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Marinated Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Grill or grill pan
- Cutting board and sharp knife
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
Can i make this salad without a grill?
Yes! You can make this salad without a grill. Heat a cast iron grill pan over medium and grill the watermelon spears for few minutes on each side.
- Fresh mint
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
Can I use a different herb?
Yes! If you do not like mint you can use fresh basil leaves cut into ribbons for this watermelon salad.
make this salad your own with different types of melon
If you want to customize this salad to make it your own you can mix in some other types of melons like cantaloup or honey dew. You could even use a yellow watermelon for a change of color!
How to make Grilled Watermelon Salad
Step 1: Grill watermelon
To begin, preheat grill over medium high heat. When the grill is warm place rectangles on the grill and cook for 2 minutes on one side then rotate and cook for 2 minutes on another side.
Then, remove grilled watermelon from the grill and allow the watermelon to cool completely.
Step 2: add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and toss
Then, while the watermelon cools, whisk together the dijon mustard, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar.
Once the watermelon has cooled, cut it into cubes and add to a large mixing bowl with the cubed cucumber, feta, mint and vinaigrette. Finally, toss to combine and serve at room temperature or chilled.
Can I make this bBQ Watermelon salad ahead of time?
This grilled watermelon salad is best enjoyed immediately. If you want to prep the ingredients ahead of time you can leave them cut and separated in the refrigerator for up to 1 day prior to grilling the watermelon and tossing the ingredients together.
Check out these other side dishes for a barbecue
- Grilled Shrimp and Corn Salad
- Sourdough Panzanella Salad
- Honey Mustard Three Bean Salad
- Shrimp Pesto Pasta Salad
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
Grilled Watermelon Salad
BBQ watermelon tossed with cucumber, feta, fresh mint and a simple vinaigrette to make a perfect grilled watermelon salad
- A quarter of a large watermelon cut into 1″x1″x4″ rectangles
- 4oz feta
- 2 small Persian cucumbers cubed (or half of one large cucumber)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves cut into ribbons
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat grill over medium high heat. When the grill is warm place rectangles on the grill and cook for 2 minutes on one side then rotate and cook for 2 minutes on another side. Remove from the grill and allow the watermelon to cool completely.
- While the watermelon cools, whisk together the dijon mustard, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar.
- Once the watermelon has cooled, cut it into cubes and add to a large mixing bowl with the cubed cucumber, feta, mint and vinaigrette. Toss to combine and serve at room temperature or chilled.
Leave a Comment