Make this super Easy Pumpkin Cake with yellow cake mix! Simplify the baking process with a boxed cake mix, canned pumpkin, eggs, milk and pumpkin pie spice.
Mix Canned Pumpkin and yellow cake mix to make the easiest pumpkin cake ever
I love baked goods, but I really don’t love to bake. I love FALL baked goods the most especially when they are made with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.
To simplify this pumpkin cake I combined canned pumpkin, yellow cake mix, eggs, milk, and pumpkin pie spice to make a perfectly moist and fluffy pumpkin cake! I topped that cake with a simple cream cheese frosting. This cake is the perfect, festive fall dessert and you don’t need to be an expert to make it!
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Mixing bowls
- Bundt pan
- Electric mixer for the icing
- Icing bag or plastic bag for topping the cake
Can i bake this in a different type of cake pan?
I like to use a standard bundt pan for this pumpkin cake with yellow cake mix, but you do not have to use one. You can use two 6 inch cake pans instead. The cook time will be cut down significantly.
You only need five simple ingredients to make this pumpkin and yellow cake mix recipe.
- Yellow cake mix
- Canned pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin pie spice
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
Top this easy cake with festive toppings!
I plan on making this cake for festive fall gatherings like halloween or Thanksgiving or even a Sunday football watching party. To make this simple pumpkin yellow cake mix recipe even more festive you can top it with leaf sprinkles, cinnamon sugar, star anise pods or colored icing!
How to make pumpkin cake with yellow cake mix
Step 1: prepare cake mix
Preheat the oven to 350F. Place canned pumpkin, eggs, milk, and pumpkin pie spice in a large mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Fold the cake mix in with a flat spatula.
Grease a bundt pan thoroughly with butter and flour the surface of the bundt pan with flour. Tap the bundt pan to shake out the excess flour. Pour the batter into the pan.
Step 2: bake pumpkin cake and make frosting
Place the cake into the oven and bake for 38-40 minutes. While the cake bakes, prepare a cream cheese frosting.
Mix together softened cream cheese and milk with a hand mixer until fluffy. Pour in the powdered sugar and mix again. Set aside or store in the refrigerator if your kitchen is particularly warm.
Step 3: cool cake and top with cream cheese frosting
Remove the baked cake from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the bundt pan. Do not try to remove the cake from the pan until it is fully cooled.
Top the cooled cake with cream cheese frosting using a piping bag or plastic baggie with the tip cut off.
Can I use other types of cake?
Yes! There are several other types of cake mix that would work well for this recipe. You can use white cake or even a spice cake mix. If you choose a boxed spice cake mix, you may want to reduce the amount of pumpkin pie spice in the recipe.
Storage and freezing
Due to the cream cheese frosting, this pumpkin cake should be stored in the refrigerator. Wrap the cake in saran wrap and place in the fridge for up to 5 day.
You can freeze this pumpkin cake without the icing on top for up to 3 months. Freeze the cake in an airtight container and allow to thaw completely before cutting into slices.
Check out these other delicious desserts made with pumpkin
- Pumpkin Challah French Toast
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Oat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Healthy Double Chocolate Muffins
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
Pumpkin Cake Ingredients
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 box yellow cake mix
Cream Cheese Frosting ingredients
- 4oz cream cheese – softened
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a bundt pan with butter and dust with a thin layer of flour. Whisk eggs, milk, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice together in a mixing bowl. Fold in the box of yellow cake mix with a spatula.
- Pour the cake batter into the bundt pan. Bake at 350F for 38 to 40 minutes. While the cake bakes prepare a cream cheese frosting by mixing softened cream cheese and 1 tbsp of milk with an electric hand mixer. Mix in the powdered sugar until a smooth cream cheese frosting remains. Set the frosting to the side or store in the fridge if your kitchen is warm.
- Remove the baked cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely before removing it from the bundt pan. If you remove the cake before it is fully cooled, it may crack so be sure to wait until it is fully cooled.
- Ice the cooled bundt cake with the cream cheese frosting using a piping bag or plastic baggie with the tip cut off. Cut into 10 slices and serve.