Make soft and chewy M&M Sugar Cookies with this simple M&M cookie recipe. Use holiday M&Ms to make special cookies for every holiday!
Only thing better than sugar cookies are sugar cookies with M&Ms
I love big, soft and chewy sugar cookies. I took my classic sugar cookie recipe up a notch by mixing in LOTS of milk chocolate M&Ms.
These colorful M&M sugar cookies are perfect for birthday parties, holiday parties and everything in between.You can easily alter this M&M cookie recipe by using different types of M&Ms and seasonal M&Ms for holidays!
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Cookie measuring scoop
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer
- Sheet pan or baking pan
- Cooling rack
What type of M&Ms should I use?
I think that milk chocolate M&Ms work best for this M&M sugar cookie recipe, but you can use any type of M&M. You can try dark chocolate or peanut butter for a fun twist on the classic recipe.
Can I make these cookies gluten free?
Yes! Just replace the all purpose flour with a 1-to-1 gluten free flour blend. Depending on the flour blend, they make cook faster or slower than the all purpose flour so just keep an eye on the cookies and remove them from the oven when they are golden brown.
How to make m&M Sugar cookies
Step 1: Prepare sugar cookie dough
To begin, preheat oven to 325F. Then, cream softened butter, sugar and brown sugar together with an electric mixer. Mix in the egg.
Pour in the flour, salt, baking soda and corn starch. Mix again and continue mixing until a smooth even dough forms. You may need to use a spatula to help the dough come together.
Step 2: Mix in M&ms and Form Cookies
Pour in three quarters of the M&Ms and fold in with the spatula. Using a cookie scoop, scoop 2 tbsp of dough onto the baking sheet per cookie.
Flatten the dough balls slightly and top them with the rest of the M&Ms.
Step 3: Bake until golden brown
Then, bake the cookies at 325F for 15-18 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to the cooling rack to cool completely.
Make this M&M Cookie recipe for Any holiday!
The best part about this sugar cookie recipe is that it can be adapted for any holiday! M&M sells varieties for any holiday like red white and blue M&Ms for the Fourth of July so you can make Red White and Blue Sugar cookies by using those!
Make a festive Christmas M&M cookie recipe by using the red and green M&Ms. You can even mix in some Christmas sprinkles. Make Valentines Day sugar cookies with the red white and pink M&Ms!
Storage and Freezing
Allow the cookies to cool completely, then, store in an air tight container on the counter for up to 5 days. Or store for up to 10 days in the refrigerator.
Freeze these M&M sugar cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Check out these other delicious cookie recipes
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Cookies
- Holiday Almond Cookies
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (scoop and level measured)
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup M&Ms (separated into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place softened butter in a bowl with sugar and brown sugar. Mix together with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until it is evenly combined and soft and fluffy. Crack a room temperature egg into the bowl and mix again until soft and fluffy.
- Pour all purpose flour, corn starch, salt and baking soda into the bowl and mix with the electric mixer until fully combined. Use a spatula to continue mixing the dough and help the dough come together.
- Pour 3/4 cup of M&Ms into the bowl and mix into the dough with the spatula. Using a cookie scoop, measure out 2 tbsp per cookie and scoop onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Continue scooping until you have 12 cookies – you may need to bake in 2 batches.
- Press down on the dough balls slightly to flatten and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of M&Ms. Place the baking sheet in the oven to bake at 325F for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet.Then, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.