This Green Beans Almondine recipe is the perfect side dish to go with any roast meat. Who knew that green beans and almonds could be so perfect together!
What are Green Beans Almondine?
Green beans almondine is made by combining blanched green beans with sliced almonds that have been toasted in butter. This side dish is simple, but incredibly flavorful and delicious.
The toasted almonds are seasoned with salt and just a tiny bit of nutmeg to give the dish a holiday aroma. The whole thing is finished of with just a bit of lemon juice to brighten it up!
is it Green beans almondine or amandine?
You will see this same recipe written both ways and both ways are technically correct. Amandine is simply the French name for the dish.
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Large pot
- Chef’s knife and cutting board
- Frying pan
- Serving bowl
How do you blanch green beans?
To blanch any vegetable, submerge them in boiling water for a short period of time followed and then immediately dunk them in an ice bath. This process quick-cooks the vegetable in the water and then the ice bath stops the cooking process.
The blanching process softens the green beans without overcooking them. It also helps preserve that beautiful green color of a fresh green bean!
Green Beans Almondine Ingredients
- Fresh green beans or French beans
- Sliced almonds
- Garlic cloves
- Lemon juice
- Ground nutmeg
This easy green bean almondine goes very well with holiday meals like Thanksgiving or Christmas for those folks who don’t particularly like the traditional green bean casserole.
I like to serve this green bean recipe with my slow cooker turkey breast and my whipped mashed potatoes for a quick thanksgiving dinner!! Add some canned cranberry to the plate and its my perfect meal.
Green beans with almonds are also a great side dish with a hearty protein like chicken breast, pork tenderloin, or baked fish. The dish is fresh and light with intense flavor, so it’s great year round!
How to make This Green Beans Almondine Recipe
Step 1: prepare Ingredients
To begin, mince the garlic cloves and trim the ends off the green beans. Then, bring a heavily salted pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath.
Step 2: Blanch the Green Beans
Add the green beans to the boiling water and allow them to cook for 4-5 minutes. We want them cooked but not mushy or too soft.
Remove the green beans from the boiling water with tongs or a slotted spoon and immediately transfer to an ice bath.
Step 3: Toast the almonds
Then, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is almost completely melted, pour the sliced almonds into the pan.
Toss to make sure they are evenly coated in the butter. Toast the almonds in the butter until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Toss the almonds frequently to avoid burning. Add the minced garlic to the pan and saute for another 3 minutes.
Season with nutmeg and salt and toss again.
Step 4: Mix the blanched green beans with the toasted almonds
Finally, drain the blanched beans and add them to the pan with the almonds. Toss to combine. Finally, pour in the lemon juice and toss again.
Garnish with flakey sea salt and some lemon zest. This dish is best enjoyed immediately.
Preparing this dish ahead of time
This dish is best served warm because it is made with melted butter that will harden when cold.
If you are preparing this dish ahead of time, do not use the lemon juice. Prepare the dish as listed and then gently reheat it on the stove top and toss in the lemon juice just before serving.
Storage and reheating
Allow the dish to cool completely. Then, store the green beans almondine in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat on the stove-top until warmed. The toasted almonds may lose their crunch over time.
Check out these other Great Vegetable sides
- Tahini and Harissa Roasted Cauliflower
- Herb and Mustard Potato Salad
- Honey Mustard Three Bean Salad
- Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1 lb green beans trimmed
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mince garlic cloves and trim ends off green beans. Bring a heavily salted pot of water to a boil.
- Place green beans in the boiling water to blanch for about 4-5 minutes. You want them to be cooked but not too soft. Remove green beans from the boiling water and immediately transfer to an ice bath.
- Heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Once the butter is almost completely melted, pour the sliced almonds into the pan. Toss to make sure the almonds are evenly coated in the butter.
- Toast the almonds in butter until golden brown about 5 minutes – tossing frequently. Place minced garlic in the pan and saute for another 3 minutes. Season with nutmeg and salt and toss again.
- Drain blanched beans and add to the pan with the almonds along with the lemon juice. Toss to mix all ingredients and serve immediately