Make Hot Cocoa Cookies that taste like you are biting into a warm cup of hot chocolate! This hot chocolate cookie recipe is filled with chocolate chips and topped with marshmallows.
like a cup of hot cocoa that you can eat!
One of my favorite things about the holiday season is cuddling up with a warm cup of hot chocolate and a good book. I created this hot cocoa cookie recipe to taste like you are biting right into that comforting cup of hot chocolate.
They are crisp on the outside, smooth and gooey on the inside. These soft and chewy cookies are just like a cup of hot cocoa down to the marshmallow on top.
Mix up the dough, let it chill and then bake until soft. The whole process takes less than 30 minutes. Serve these hot chocolate cookies to kids on a snow day or guests at your next holiday party!
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- Cookie scoop
- Hand mixer or standing mixer
These hot chocolate cookies are best served on a cold day. They truly remind me of an edible cup of hot chocolate.
Serve them with your favorite homemade hot cocoa recipe or with coffee or tea. I personally like to make a latte with this peppermint mocha syrup.
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Hot cocoa mix (not sugar free)
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- All purpose flour
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
Mix powdered hot cocoa mix right into the cookies
You will use powdered hot cocoa mix to add to the flavor of these delicious chewy cookies. You can use your favorite brand of hot cocoa mix, but please do not use sugar free hot cocoa mix.
I like to use dark chocolate hot chocolate mix to make the cookies extra rich!
Make them peppermint hot chocolate cookies
Mix 1 tsp of peppermint extract into the cookie batter to add a delicious peppermint flavor to these cookies. You can also top with cookies with peppermint marshmallows instead of regular marshmallows to add to the cookies peppermint flavor.
Up the peppermint flavor even more by sprinkling some crushed candy canes on top. There is nothing better than the peppermint chocolate flavor combination during the holiday season!
How to make Hot Cocoa Cookies
Step 1: Combine dry ingredients
To begin, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, hot chocolate mix, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
Step 2: Cream butter and sugar and make cookie batter
Then, in a separate bowl mix the room temperature butter, sugar and brown sugar together with an electric hand mixer until a light and fluffy mixture remains.
Add the eggs in one at a time and mix between each egg. Mix in the vanilla.
Next, pour the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and beat until a smooth batter remains. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Step 3: Scoop cookies and chill
Then, scoop the dough into cookies with a 1.5 tbsp cookie scoop, roll into balls with your hands, and place in the fridge for at least an hour. While the cookies chill, preheat oven to 350F.
After chilling, place dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet with space between each cookie.
Step 4: Bake hot chocolate cookies
Finally, bake the cookies at 350 F for 10 minutes, remove the tray and quickly top each cookie with 3-4 mini marshmallows. Bake another 2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on wire racks.
Storage and freezing
Allow cookies to cool completely and then store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow them to thaw slowly in the fridge or on the counter and enjoy!
Check out these other delicious cookie recipes
- M&M Sugar Cookies
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No Bake Cookie Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Holiday Almond Cookies
This recipe was developed by Courtney Spiegl. You can find her on instagram @courtney_made.
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- In a large mixing bowl mix together hot chocolate mix, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and all purpose flour and set aside.
- Mix the butter, sugar and brown sugar together with an electric hand mixer until a smooth creamy mixture remains Add the eggs in one at a time and mix between each egg. Mix in the vanilla.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and beat until a smooth batter remains. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop cookies with a 1.5 tbsp cookie scoop, roll into balls with your hands, and place in the fridge for at least an hour. After chilling, place dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet with space between each cookie.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes, remove the tray and quickly top each cookie with 3-4 mini marshmallows. Bake another 2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.