Use fresh cherries to make these delicious Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies! These chocolate cherry cookies are the perfect summer treat.
Mix chocolate chunks with fresh fruit for the perfect fresh cherry dessert!
Who doesn’t love cherry and chocolate together!! It is one of my favorite combinations especially in early summer when the cherries are in season.
Mix fresh cherries and chocolate chunks together to make a decadent and delicious chocolate cherry cookie!
When are cherries in season?
It depends on the variety of cherry, but most sweet cherries are in season between late May and the end of July. The end of June and early July is the peak time to purchase cherries and make fresh cherry recipes!
Kitchen Tools for chocolate cherry cookies
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer
- Measuring scoop
- Parchment paper and baking sheets
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Brown sugar and granulated cane sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda and baking powder
- Dark chocolate
- Fresh cherries – I used Bing Sweet Cherries
Substitutes for fresh cherries
You can make these cherry cookies year round with the following substitutes!
- Dried cherries – You can use tart cherries for a tart taste or sweetened dried cherries for a sweeter taste. Chop the cherries into smaller pieces before using
- Canned Sweet Dark Cherries – Drain the liquid from these cherries and chop into small pieces before using in the cookies
How to make Cherry Chocolate chip cookies
Step 1: Prepare cookie dough
To begin, add room temperature butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar to a large mixing bowl. Mix with a hand mixer or the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Mix until smooth and fluffy.
Then, pour room temperature egg and vanilla extract into the bowl and mix again. Mix until a smooth mixture remains.
Next, add flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder to the mixing bowl and mix once more.
You should be left with a smooth, thick dough. Add chopped cherries and chocolate chunks to the bowl and mix in with a spatula.
Step 2: chill cookie dough and preheat oven
Next, pop the bowl of dough into the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Bake cherry chocolate cookies and cool
Finally, bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and cook on a cooling rack and enjoy!
Can I freeze cherry chocolate chip cookies?
Yes! Allow the cookies to cool completely and then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the freezer in an airtight container for up to three months.
Allow the cherry cookies to defrost on the counter or in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven or toaster oven for that warm gooey texture!
Check out these other delicious cookie recipes
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Cookies
- Holiday Almond Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Healthy Almond Joy Cookies
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3.5oz dark chocolate bar cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped fresh sweet cherries
- Add room temperature butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar to a large mixing bowl. Mix with a hand mixer or the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Pour room temperature egg and vanilla extract into the bowl and mix again. Mix until a smooth mixture remains. Add flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder to the mixing bowl and mix once more.
- You should be left with a smooth, thick dough. Add chopped cherries and chocolate chunks to the bowl and mix in with a spatula. Pop the bowl into the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out 2 tbsp of dough for each cookie and roll into a ball. Place on the baking sheet with space between each cookie.
- Bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and cook on a cooling rack and enjoy!