This Cherry Crisp recipe is the perfect early summer dessert. Bake fresh cherries with a simple crumble topping and top with vanilla ice cream.
Make an easy early summer dessert with fresh cherries
Each year cherry season is short and sweet so while they are in season I like to cook with them as much as possible. I love using them in oatmeal, smoothies on salads, in chia pudding and especially in desserts like this.
This simple cherry crisp highlights the incredible flavor bursting from fresh cherries. Just slice cherries in half and top them with a simple crumble topping.
Bake the two together in a pie plate for the ultimate early summer dessert. Your house will smell absolutely incredible with this in the oven. Once the crisp has cooled slightly, be sure to top it with some vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream and dig in!
- Pie plate OR 8×8 baking dish
- Cherry pitter (to make things easier)
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
I think this simple cherry crisp is best served as a dessert with a big scoop of ice cream on top. Be sure to serve it warm so that the ice cream can melt slightly.
It is also a delicious afternoon snack alongside a cup of coffee or tea. If I was serving this cherry crisp recipe as a snack with coffee, then I would definitely serve it with some homemade whipped cream.
- Fresh cherries
- Corn starch
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Rolled oats
- All purpose flour
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
Can i use frozen cherries?
I prefer to use fresh cherries for this cherry crisp while they are in season, but you can use frozen cherries! Allow the frozen cherries to defrost slightly so they are easy to slice in half.
Slice the defrosted cherries in half and continue the instructions as written.
Make this cherry crisp gluten free
To make this recipe gluten free, use a gluten free corn starch or arrowroot starch. Be sure to use gluten free rolled oats and a 1 to 1 gluten free flour substitute.
How to make a cherry crisp
Step 1: Prepare cherries
To begin, preheat oven to 375F. Pit cherries and slice in half.
Then, toss cherries with 1 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tbsp corn starch and set to the side.
Step 2: Assemble crisp
Next, prepare crumble topping by mixing all crumble ingredients together. It should be wet and slightly crumbly.
Then, arrange cherries in a standard pie plate and arrange crumble topping on top.
Step 3: bake and serve
Bake at 375F for 30 minutes.
Finally, remove from oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes and then serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
Storage and reheating
If you have leftovers, you can cover the pie plate and store them in that or transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat servings in the microwave or toaster oven until warmed through.
Check out These Other summer dessert recipes
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 4 heaping cups fresh cherries
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Crumble Topping Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 375F. Pit cherries and slice in half. Toss cherries with 1 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tbsp corn starch and set to the side.
- Prepare crumble topping by mixing all crumble ingredients together. It should be wet and slightly crumbly.
- Arrange cherries in a standard pie plate and arrange crumble topping on top. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes and then serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- You can use frozen cherries just allow them to defrost slightly before slicing in half and then following the same instructions
- To make this gluten free use arrowroot starch, gluten free flour and gluten free rolled oats