Use this Homemade SpaghettiOs with Meatballs recipe to make a healthier version of your childhood favorite. Skip the can and minutes you will have a delicious one pot pasta with mini meatballs.
Uh Oh, SpaghettiOs.
There are probably very few Americans who don’t have some memory of Campbell’s SpaghettiOs from their childhood. I remember having SpaghettiOs when my parents went out to dinner and we had to stay home with a babysitter.
The SpaghettiOs with meatballs were always my favorite version. I am on a mission to recreate healthier versions of my childhood favorites so I knew I had to add Homemade SpaghettiOs with Meatballs to the list.
What’s not to love about small ringed pasta in a red sauce with mini meatballs?
I learned from this article by Mashed that Campbell’s spaghettiOs were created as an alternative to traditional spaghetti. The small rings were easier for kids to eat without making a mess.
The problem with regular SpaghettiOs is they are made with some not so healthy ingredients. These ingredients help the pasta survive the canning and reheating process.
The good news is that you can make the Homemade SpaghettiOs with Meatballs at home with simple ingredients and without the junk.
What kitchen tools will I need to make Homemade SpaghettiOs with Meatballs?
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cups
- Large pot or dutch oven
- Mixing spoons
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
What ingredients will I need to make Campbell’s SpaghettiOs at home?
You will be amazed at how easy it is to make a healthy version of SpaghettiOs with meatballs with just a few simple ingredients.
- Ground beef
- Parmesan cheese
- Tomato puree
- Small ring pasta like Anellini pasta
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cheddar cheese
Let’s make Homemade SpaghettiOs with Meatballs!
Step 1: Prep and cook meatballs
Take 1 tsp of meatball mix and roll into a small mini meatball and lay on the baking sheet, Repeat this process until you have used up all of the meatball mixture.
If you don’t have time to roll all of the meatballs you can roll several large meatball and cut them into smaller pieces one they’re cooked.
Then, bake the mini meatballs at 350F for 14 minutes,
Step 2: Boil and simmer pasta
While the meatballs bake, combine small ring pasta, tomato puree, water, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika to a large pot or dutch oven. Then, heat over high heat until the mixture boils – stirring regularly.
Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Then, simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Step 3: Mix in the cheese, milk, and meatballs
Turn off the heat and while the pasta is still warm mix in the milk and cheddar cheese. Then, stir until the cheese is fully melted. Mix the mini meatballs into the SpaghettiOs and serve!
Step 4: Enjoy!
How long will this homemade spaghettiOs with meatballs recipe keep in the fridge?
Allow the spaghettiOs to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Then, store the spaghettiOs in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!Print
Healthier SpaghettiOs with meatballs made at home with simple ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 28oz can tomato puree
- 4 cups water
- 1.5 cups dry mini ring pasta – I used Anellini
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine mini meatball ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Take 1 tsp of meatball mix and roll into a small mini meatball and lay on the baking sheet
- Repeat this process until you have used up all of the meatball mixture – if you don’t have time to roll all of the meatballs you can roll several large meatball and cut them into smaller pieces one they’re cooked
- Bake the mini meatballs at 350F for 14 minutes
- While the meatballs bake, combine small ring pasta, tomato puree, water, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika to a large pot or dutch oven
- Heat over high heat until the mixture boils – stirring regularly
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot
- Simmer for 10 minutes stirring frequently
- Turn off the heat and while the pasta is still warm mix in the milk and cheddar cheese
- Stir until the cheese is fully melted
- Mix the mini meatballs into the SpaghettiOs and serve!
Keywords: Cocpycat Campbell’s SpaghettiOs, healthy homemade spaghettiOs, homemade SpaghettiOs with meatballs