This Air Fryer Flank Steak recipe is the easiest way to make a juicy flank steak in less than 30 minutes. Use a dry rub to flavor the steak and then cook it quickly in an air fryer.
Skip the grill and make your flank steak inside in your air fryer
I use my grill as often as I can, but sometimes due to weather or time constraints, I can’t fire it up. If I can’t use my grill, I use my air fryer to make the perfect flank steak in less than 30 minutes.
Prepare a simple steak dry rub by combining brown sugar with a few spices. Rub the flank steak with the dry rub and cook quickly in a preheated air fryer.
What should I serve with this air fryer flank steak?
Prepare this simple flank steak recipe as a topper for salads or as a dinner entree. If you are making this as an entree, here are some side dishes that I like to serve with flank steak.
If you want to make a classic steak house meal, serve a classic wedge salad recipe with the steak.
- Air fryer
- Meat tenderizer
- Measuring spoons
- Small mixing bowl
- Sharp knife and cutting board
Which Air Fryer Is Best?
Honestly you can use an air fryer to make this flank steak but there are a few that I like best. You want to make sure that your air fryer basket is large enough for the flank steak to lie completely flat.
I use the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven nearly every day. The Philips and Ninja Air fryers are also very popular and a good size for this steak.
- Flank steak
- Brown sugar
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Granulated onion
- Granulated garlic
How else can I use this steak dry rub?
A dry rub is a great way to season a steak without taking time to marinate the steak. You want to apply a dry rub just before cooking the steak.
You can use this dry rub for larger roasts in the over, for barbecue on the smoker and even for ribs.
How to make Flank Steak in an Air fryer
Step 1: Prepare the dry rub and tenderize the steak
To begin, prepare the dry rub by combining brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Then, gently tenderize the flank steak with a meat tenderizer.
Step 2: Rub dry rub over the flank steak and air fry
Preheat your air fryer to 350F. Then, take the mixed dry rub and rub half of it into one side of the flank steak.
Use your hands to really massage the rub into the steak. Flip the steak over and use the second half of the steak rub on the other side.
Next, place the steak in your air fryer basket and air fry at 350F for 4 minutes, flip and air fry for an additional 4 minutes. Use an instant thermometer to check the internal temperature of the steak. I check for an internal temperature of 130F for a medium rare flank steak.
Step 3: Slice against the grain and serve
Allow the steak to rest for at least 5 minutes. Then, look for the grain of the steak and slice the steak into strips against the grain. Finally, serve the steak in strips with sides or on a salad.
Flank Steak salad recipe
My favorite way to serve this steak is sliced on top of a simple salad. Start with a base of romaine lettuce or baby mixed greens like baby kale.
Top the green with thinly sliced red onion, cherry tomatoes, chopped cucumber and crumble feta. Layer the flank steak on top and garnish the salad with some freshly sliced green onion.
Storage and reheating
Allow the flank steak to cool completely, then, store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat by cooking it very quickly in strips in a warm cast iron skillet.
You can easily overcook flank steak so I prefer to eat the leftovers cold in a salad or in a wrap.
Check out these other simple air fryer recipes!
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Crispy Air Fryer Tofu
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1 lb flank steak – look for one that is about an inch thick
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika (standard not smoked)
- Take the flank steak out about 30 minutes prior to cooking to bring it to room temperature. Prepare the dry rub by mixing the brown sugar, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika in a small bowl.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350F. Take the flank steak and gently tenderize it on both sides using a meat tenderizer. Rub the dry rub into the flank steak with your hands. Be sure to rub it in on all sides.
- Place the steak in the air fryer basket and air fry at 350F for 4 minutes, flip the steak and air fry for another 4 minutes. Check the internal temp of the steak (I like 130F for a medium rare flank steak). Cook for longer if needed.
- Place the cooked steak on a cutting board and allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes. Determine the grain of the steak and slice the steak into strips against the grain.