This Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana will be your new favorite cozy soup. Make this easy zuppa toscana recipe in less than an hour.
Comforting and hearty soup ready in less than an hour
I love to make slow simmered soups all winter long for meals, but sometimes you need something quick. This Instant Pot zuppa toscana recipe is perfect because it comes together in less than a hour.
Cook the whole meal in your instant pot for less mess and cleanup. Then, serve with fresh parmesan cheese, warm bread and a simple side salad.
This zuppa toscana recipe is also an amazing meal prep option. I like to send a serving for lunch with my wife and she can easily reheat and enjoy it at work.
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cups
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Instant pot
- Wooden mixing spoon
- Serving ladle
The best part about this instant pot zuppa toscana recipe is that it is a full meal in one pot. I like to keep it simple and serve it with a little bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh cracked black pepper.
It is always good for serve this soup with a fresh roll or some crusty Italian bread. If you want to serve this soup with a simple side salad, I recommend using this apple cider vinaigrette to compliment the soup.
- Italian sausage – hot or mild or a mix of the two
- Yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Russet potatoes
- Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
For the sausage, I like to use a blend of hot and mild pork sausage cut out of the casings. You can use any type of ground sausage that you like.
Substitute the chicken broth with any type of broth like vegetable, beef or turkey broth. Feel free to use any kind of potato. You could even use sweet potatoes for a hint of sweetness in the soup.
I like to use fresh curly kale, but you can use baby kale, baby spinach or even collard greens in place of the kale.
How to make Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
Step 1: Saute bacon, sausage, garlic and onion
Step 2: add other ingredients and cook under pressure
Next, pour chicken broth, water, cooked bacon, cooked sausage, and cubed potatoes into instant pot. Close the lid and set vent to sealing.
Then, cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. After the instant pot beeps that it’s done cooking, manually release press and open the top.
Step 3: Stir in heavy cream and kale
Finally, set instant pot to keep warm and stir in heavy cream and kale. Stir until kale is wilted.
Serve with parmesan cheese and fresh cracked pepper.
Can i make this in a crock Pot?
Yes, you can make zuppa toscana in a crockpot. Just brown the bacon and sausage on the stove top.
Then, add all ingredients except kale and heavy cream to a crock pot. Cook on low for 5 and a half hours.
Stir in kale and heavy cream and cook for another half hour before serving.
Storage, freezing and reheating
Allow the zuppa toscana in instant pot to cool completely. Then, transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
This is a perfect soup to freeze for later. I like to use souper cubes to freeze and store for up to 3 months.
Reheat the soup in a sauce pan on the stove over medium low heat until warmed through. Feel free to add extra chicken broth when you reheat to refresh the soup.
Check out these other cozy soup recipes
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 6 strips of bacon – diced
- 1lb Italian sausage – mild or hot with casings removed
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 yellow onion – finely diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 quart of chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 large russet potatoes – peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 large handfuls of chopped kale
- Turn instant pot on to saute mode and cook diced bacon until golden brown. Remove from the instant pot and add sausage. Cook until just browned and remove from instant pot.
- Add olive oil to instant pot along with garlic and onion. Saute until soft and fragrant – this will only take a minute. Season with salt and pepper and turn saute mode off.
- Pour chicken broth, water, cooked bacon, cooked sausage, and cubed potatoes into instant pot. Close the lid and set vent to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. After the instant pot beeps that its done cooking, manually release press and open the top.
- Set instant pot to keep warm and stir in heavy cream and kale. Stir until kale is wilted.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and fresh cracked pepper
- *** To make this recipe in a crockpot, brown bacon and sausage on the stove top. Then, add all ingredients except kale and heavy cream to a crock pot. Cook on low for 5 and a half hours. Stir in kale and heavy cream and cook for another half hour before serving
- I like to use a mix of mild and hot Italian sausage for this recipe, but you can use all mild or all hot.