These Grain Free Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies are made from the BEST almond flour chocolate chip cookie recipe. They are made with almond flour and a few other simple ingredients.
Although I am usually not much of a baker, I got the urge to make chocolate chip cookies one night. Ultimately, I wanted them to be chewy, but they turned out fluffy and cake-like.
Don’t get me wrong, like a fluffy cookie from time to time, but I really wanted them to have a nice chewy texture.
I changed up my recipe many times and on the final try I perfected this grain free chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe. They are naturally gluten free thanks to the almond flour.
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Tablespoon cookie scoop
what is almond flour?
Almond flour is made from ground almonds. Almond flour is usually a cream color because it is made from blanched almonds instead of whole raw almonds.
Also, almond flour is ideal for gluten free baking because it gives a nice fluffy rise in texture without being too dry.
How to serve almond flour chocolate Chip Cookies
These chewy chocolate chip cookies are best served warm from the oven with a glass of milk or dairy free milk! They are a delightful addition to any dessert spread.
These cookies are sturdy and slightly chewy which makes them ideal for making ice cream sandwiches. Scoop vanilla bean ice cream into rounds and sandwich between two almond flour chocolate chip cookies. Wrap in parchment and freeze again until the ice cream is frozen solid.
What ingredients do I need to make these Grain Free Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- Room temperature egg
- Light brown sugar
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Fine Almond flour
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips!
- Flakey sea salt
Frequently Asked Questions
You can and it will work, but I prefer the texture of brown sugar
No. It is best to use ultra fine blanched almond flour for these grain free cookies.
Yes use the same amount of butter as coconut oil. Allow the melted butter to cool slightly before mixing it in with the sugar and eggs.
Traditionally these almond flour cookies are made with semi sweet chocolate chips, but there are many mix in options.
- Nuts – mix any kind of roasted nuts into the batter for extra crunch. I like to use roasted and salted walnuts.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – Using semi-sweet mini chocolate chips allows you to have more chocolate chips in each bite
- Mini M&Ms – Use mini M&Ms instead of chocolate chips for festive colorful gluten free cookies
How to make Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
To begin, just grab a large mixing bowl, a whisk and a spatula. Then, combine the wet ingredients in a bowl.
Next, in a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a spatula.
Then, slowly mix in chocolate chips. After the batter is mixed, cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
This chilling step is important. If you know you will want to bake these cookies in a hurry, make the dough the night before and pull it out of the fridge just before you bake.
Finally, transfer dough balls onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F or until the cookies are golden brown.
Transfer baked cookies to a wire rack. Allow to cool before you eat!
Storage and freezing
Store these chewy cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days. You can store them for up to two weeks in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Holiday Almond Cookies
- Paleo Slice and Bake Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Cookies
- Loaded Birthday Cake Cookie Bars
Keep reading to find the full recipe for these gluten free chocolate chip cookies! If you make them and enjoy them, please share with me on Instagram or rate and review them in the comments below!
- 1 egg – room temperature
- 1/3 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Flakey sea salt for topping
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together coconut oil, light brown sugar, vanilla extract and egg
- In a separate bowl combine almond flour, salt, and baking soda
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a spatula
- Fold chocolate chips into the batter with a spatula
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for an hour
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Scoop out about 1/4 cup of batter per cookie, place on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with flakey sea salt
- Place in the oven and cook for 18-20 minutes
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and enjoy!