Only need a few cookies? Try this Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe and make 6 perfect chocolate chip cookies.
For when you only want a few cookies
I love a warm chocolate chip cookie (who doesn’t?), but many many times I don’t need a full batch of them. I end up making 18 cookies and eating WAY more than a serving.
This small batch chocolate chip cookies recipe is the perfect solution to that problem because only makes 6 standard size cookies. Each cookie is the perfect serving and even if you’re tempted to eat the whole batch, its only 6 cookies!
This cookie recipe is also useful for when you might not have enough ingredients for a full batch. You will only need half a stick of butter, one egg and a few other simple ingredients to make it.
The cookies have a slight crisp on the outside while still being soft and chewy on the inside. You will absolutely love making these any time you get a cookie craving.
- Mixing bowls
- Electric hand mixer and flat spatula.
- Measuring cups, measuring spoons, liquid measuring cup
- Cookie measuring scoop
- Baking sheet and parchment paper
- Wire cooling rack
This small batch of chocolate chip cookies is perfect to make when you want to bake, but don’t want to make a big mess. It is made with simple ingredients and comes together in just one bowl.
I like to serve these as a little afternoon snack with a latte or maybe even an ice shaken espresso drink.
Because they only make a few cookies, they are the perfect thing to make when you are putting out a full spread of desserts. You could also make a couple other simple desserts like these peanut butter chocolate rice krispie bars and double chocolate truffles.
- Brown sugar
- White granulated sugar
- Egg yolk
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
- Flakey sea salt for topping
This recipe has been tested many times to ensure that it works perfectly. There are not many substitutions that can be made without changing the outcome of the recipe.
Make this small batch of chocolate chop cookies gluten free by using an all purpose gluten free flour blend.
You can also use different mix ins in place of semi sweet chocolate chips. You can cut a chocolate bar into chocolate chunks and mix them in. Or you could use white chocolate chips, m&ms, dried fruit and even nuts.
How to make a small batch of chocolate chip cookies
Step 1: prepare small batch of cookie dough
Then, mix butter, brown sugar and sugar together with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix again.
Next, add all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the mixing bowl and mix again with the electric mixer. The mixture will seem too crumbly at first, but keep mixing until the dough comes together.
Then, pour chocolate chips into the bowl and mix in with a flat spatula.
Step 2: Form cookies and bake
Next, scoop out about 3 tbsp of batter per cookie and roll into a ball. You should have 6 cookie dough balls.
Place them on the lined baking sheet with space between each cookie. Bake at 375F for 11 minutes.
Remove from oven and top with flakey sea salt. Allow to cool and enjoy!
Storage and freezing
Once prepared, allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Then, store in an airtight container on the counter top for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
You can freeze these cookies fully baked in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost on the counter and then eat at room temperature or warm in the toaster oven.
You could also freeze the dough balls prior to baking. Allow them to defrost on the cookie sheet and then bake according to the instructions below.
Check out these other Easy Cookie recipes
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Lemon Ricotta Cookie Recipe
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- ½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk – just the yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup + 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅓ cup semi sweet chocolate chips + more for topping
- Flakey sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix butter, brown sugar and sugar together with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix again.
- Add all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the mixing bowl and mix again with the electric mixer. It will seem too crumbly at first, but keep mixing until the dough comes together.
- Pour chocolate chips into the bowl and mix in with a flat spatula.
- Scoop out about 3 tbsp of batter per cookie and roll into a ball. You should have 6 cookie dough balls. Place them on the lined baking sheet with space between each cookie.
- Bake at 375F for 11 minutes. Remove from oven and top with flakey sea salt. Allow to cool and enjoy!
- Only use egg yolk – using a whole egg will not work
- Substitute all purpose flour with gluten free all purpose flour blend to make these cookies gluten free