Bang Bang Shrimp Dip is a slightly sweet and spicy dip that will remind you of the popular dish from Bonefish Grill.
Delight guests with this Bang Bang Shrimp Dip. Serve up all the flavor of Bang Bang Shrimp in a creamy, spicy, sweet dip!
I know that people LOVE the bang bang shrimp from Bonefish Grill so I took all of the best things about that dish and turned it into a dip!
Steam shrimp, chop them and toss them in a creamy, sweet and spicy sauce. Then, add some panko for crunch and green onion for flavor! Serve this shrimp dip with crackers or cucumber slices.
What is bang bang shrimp?
Bang bang shrimp is a Thai inspired shrimp dish that has been popularized by chain restaurants in the United States. It is most popular at the chain Bonefish Grill.
In the United States most bang bang shrimp recipes consist of deep fried shrimp tossed in a creamy, sweet and spicy sauce. I decided to take this idea and turn it into a festive dip!
What ingredients will I need to make this spicy sweet shrimp dip?
I took all of the ingredients of a traditional bang bang shrimp dish and turned them into a dip. Instead of deep frying the shrimp I mixed in some panko bread crumbs for crunch!
- Shrimp of any size, but I prefer extra large or jumbo shrimp
- Mayonnaise to make the sauce creamy
- Sweet Thai Chili Sauce gives the sauces its distinctive slightly sweet flavor
- Rice Vinegar for a hit of acid
- Sriracha for extra spice
- Panko Breadcrumbs to add the crunch of deep fried shrimp
- Green Onions for extra flavor
Can I use frozen shrimp for this dip?
Yes! I almost always buy my shrimp frozen because they are more affordable that way and easy to use.
If you use frozen shrimp, do not try to cook the shrimp from frozen. Before cooking, defrost your shrimp under refrigeration or in a bag in a bowl of cold water.
How do I make Bang Bang Shrimp Dip?
Step 1: Steam shrimp
To begin, steam shrimp by placing a steamer basket over simmering water. For extra large shrimp it took about 10 minutes for them to steam.
You will know the shrimp are cooked, but not overcooked when they are white and reddish-pink and curled into a C shape. Be sure to remove the shrimp from heat before the tip and tail touch.
Step 2: Prepare sauce and chop shrimp
Then, while the steamed shrimp are cooling, combine mayo, chili sauce, sriracha, and rice vinegar in a small bowl.
If needed, remove tails from shrimp and chop the shrimp into small pieces.
Step 3: Mix it all together and serve
Next, mix the sauce with the chopped shrimp until completely combined.
Then, mix in the bread crumbs and green onion. Place the bang bang shrimp dip on a platter to serve and garnish with more green onion.
This dip is best served cold. Serve with crackers or cucumber slices!
Step 4: Enjoy!
Can I prepare this shrimp dip ahead of time?
This dip is best enjoyed when it is freshly made so I recommend preparing this dip and enjoying it immediately. If you need to make it ahead of time, please enjoy this dip within 24 hours of preparing.
What should I serve with this Bang Bang Shrimp Dip?
This sweet and spicy dip would be the perfect appetizer for a small dinner party with friends. It would go really well with the following entrees.
- Black Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
- Easy Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry
- Easy Teriyaki Pork and Bok Choy
- Takeout Style Beef and Broccoli
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!Print
All the flavor of Bonefish Grill’s bang bang shrimp in a delicious dip.
- 12oz raw shrimp (any size will work, but I used extra large shrimp)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- Steam shrimp by placing a steamer basket over simmering water
- For extra large shrimp it took about 10 minutes for them to steam – you will know the shrimp are cooked, but not overcooked when they are white and reddish-pink and curled into a C shape, be sure to remove the shrimp from heat before the tip and tail touch
- While steamed shrimp are cooling, combine mayo, chili sauce, sriracha, and rice vinegar in a small bowl
- Allow the shrimp too cool completely
- If needed, remove tails from shrimp and chop the shrimp into small pieces
- Mix the sauce with the chopped shrimp until completely combined
- Mix in the bread crumbs and green onion
- Place on a platter to serve and garnish with more green onion
- This dip is best served chilled. Serve with crackers or cucumber slices!
Keywords: bang bang shrimp dip, bang bang shrimp, dairy free shrimp dip