Black Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
The black pepper chicken stir-fry is a quick and easy Whole30 dinner. You can throw this simple one pan meal together in less than 30 minutes! Pair this healthy chicken stir fry with rice or cauliflower rice for a flavorful dinner that’s even better than takeout!
What is black pepper chicken stir-fry?
Black pepper chicken is a dish that we recently enjoyed at a Sichuan restaurant. I loved that it was packed with flavor without being too spicy. Amy had a wonderful idea to make a healthy Whole30 version of this Chinese takeout favorite.
I made this one pan chicken dinner Whole30 friendly by using arrowroot starch instead of corn starch to bread the chicken. I also swapped the soy sauce for coconut aminos. If you are not on the Whole30 or paleo diet, you do not need to make those swaps.
Is black pepper chicken spicy?
Not really! It has the spice of a black peppercorn, but that is more flavorful than hot. The only way I can describe the flavor of this chicken is to say that it is addicting.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this flavorful black pepper chicken recipe?
To make this black pepper chicken stir fry you will need a sharp knife to prep the chicken thighs and veggies. You will also need a few mixing bowls of different sizes. Finally, you will need a large frying pan or wok to cook your chicken and veggies in.
What ingredients do you need to make this black pepper chicken stir-fry?
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
Green bell peppers
- Yellow onion
- Arrowroot starch – can use corn starch if not on Whole30
- Garlic powder
- Ground ginger powder
Fresh cracked black pepper
- Chicken broth
- Coconut aminos – can use soy sauce if not on Whole30
- Rice wine vinegar
- Fish sauce
How to make Black Pepper Chicken Stir-Fry
It is pretty easy to make this healthy Whole30 recipe. To make this black pepper chicken stir-fry you will prep your ingredients. Saute the veggies and chicken separately and then simmer all of the ingredients in the sauce.
Step 1: Chop and Mix
Cube chicken, onion and green peppers. Mix together arrowroot starch and spices and toss the chicken in this mixture. Whisk together the sauce ingredients.
Step 2: Saute, Saute, Saute
Heat avocado oil in a pan over medium heat and saute the veggies. Remove the veggies from the pan, add more oil and cook the chicken. You will want to cook the chicken in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan and get a nice browning on the chicken.
Step 3: Simmer in the Sauce
Once all of the chicken is browned, add all of the chicken, veggies, and sauce back to the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high until the sauce bubbles. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes tossing frequently. The sauce should thicken and coat the meat and veggies.
Step 4: Enjoy!
How long will this black pepper chicken keep in the refrigerator?
This will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I recommend reheating it on the stovetop, but you can also reheat this black pepper chicken stir fry in the microwave.
Check out these other one pan chicken dinners!
- Easy Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry
- Lemon and Olive Chicken Skillet
- Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Skillet
- Caprese Chicken Skillet
Keep reading to find the full one pan Whole30 recipe. If you make this black pepper chicken, please share it with me on Instagram!
Black Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
A quick and easy takeout copycat recipe that is Whole30 compliant!
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tbsp arrowroot strach
- 1/2 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger power
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or chicken bone broth
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Cube the chicken thighs into bite-sized cubes
- Cube the onion and bell peppers into cubes about the same size as the chicken
- Combine the arrowroot starch, garlic powder, ground ginger powder, and 1/2 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper in a small bowl
- Whisk together chicken broth, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, fish sauce, and 1 tsp black pepper to make a suace and set to the side
- Toss cubed chicken in the arrowroot starch and seasoning mixture
- Heat 1 tbsp avocado oil in a large nonstick skilet or wok over medium heat
- Add onions and bell peppers to the pan and cook for 6 minutes tossing frequently and then remove them from the pan
- Keep the heat on medium and add an addition 1 tbsp of avocado oil to the pan
- When the oil is hot add a small portion of the chicken to the pan – you will cook the chicken in batches so that it gets an even crisp
- Cook each batch of chicken (in my pan I did 3 batches) for about 4 minutes each tossing frequently until it is browned on all sides
- Once your final batch of chicken is browned on all sides, add of the chicken back into the pan along with the veggies and sauce you make earlier
- Increase the heat until the sauce starts to bubble
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes tossing frequently
- The sauce should thicken slightlty and coat the chicken and veggies
- Once the chicken has simmered for 5 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and enjoy!
Leave a Comment