Use this Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars recipe to make the easiest no-bake treat! Just add your ingredients to a bowl, mix together, press into bars to make these easy peanut butter rice krispie treats.
Peanut butter, chocolate and sea salt is my favorite dessert combination
For me, there is pretty much nothing better than the peanut butter, chocolate and sea salt flavor combination. When I was little I would sneak spoonfuls of peanut butter topped with chocolate chips out of my pantry when we didn’t have any sweets around.
This recipe is a fun spin on the traditional rice krispie treat. These rice krispie bars are held together with a stick peanut butter and honey mixture instead of marshmallows.
Crisp rice cereal is usually gluten free so it is easy to turn these bars into a completely gluten free treat! Ready to upgrade your rice krispie treats? Just grab 5 simple ingredients and make this delicious no bake dessert.
This is the perfect treat for anyone who loves peanut butter and its even easier than the traditional rice krispie recipe. No need to heat and stir ingredients to make this peanut butter rice krispie treats recipe.
What kitchen tools will I need to make these no bake rice krispie bars?
- 8×8 baking dish
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper, cooking spray or wax paper for lining the baking pan
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
How to serve
These peanut butter rice krispie treats are the perfect quick dessert. Make them in less than 30 minutes and serve immediately. Or make ahead and package up as a treat on the go.
I like to have one as an afternoon pick me up with a cup of coffee or an iced shaken espresso in the warmer months. It is the perfect thing to get me through my 3pm work slump!
Love peanut butter and chocolate together? Try these chocolate peanut butter brownies. They are the perfect combination of salty and sweet flavors.
You will be amazed at how easy it is to make these peanut butter chocolate rice krispie bars with just 5 basic ingredients. Instead of using the typical butter and marshmallows, you will instead use just peanut butter and honey!
- Peanut butter – it is important to use creamy peanut butter
- Rice krispies – any crisp rice cereal will work. I like using Trader Joe’s crisp rice cereal
- Chocolate chips
- Salt – I like to use flakey sea salt to season the top.
Not a fan of peanut butter? Use any kind of nut butter that you like. I think that almond butter or cashew butter would taste best.
In place of honey you can use brown rice syrup or agave nectar. Using maple syrup will not result in the correct texture.
I like to use semi sweet chocolate chips for the chocolate topping layer, but you can also use a semi sweet chocolate bar, dark chocolate bar or milk chocolate bar.
Can I use a different kind of cereal for these peanut butter rice krispie treats?
Yes! If don’t want to use rice krispie cereal you can use Chex or Crispex. I love how this easy recipe tastes when made with rice checks instead of crispy rice cereal.
You may need to smash them into smaller pieces before mixing in the peanut butter so that the bars stick together.
how to make Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars
Step 1: Mix Peanut Butter and Honey
To begin, line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. Then, in a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup honey, and 1/4 tsp salt.
Once thoroughly combined, add the rice krispies to the bowl and mix again. Then, mix until the cereal and peanut butter honey are an even mixture.
Step 2: Press into the Pan and Top with Chocolate
Next, press firmly into the pan.
Then, heat chocolate chips and 1 tbsp of peanut butter in the microwave or over a double boiler until the chocolate melts. Mix the melted chocolate and tbsp of peanut butter together.
Next, pour the chocolate over the rice krispie layer. Spread the chocolate evenly with a spatula and season with flakey sea salt if desired.
Step 3: Chill and enjoy!
Then, place in the fridge to chill until the bars are solid – at least 2 hours. Cut the bars into 16 even squares and enjoy!
Store the bars in the fridge and enjoy shortly after removing from the fridge because the bars will melt quickly.
storage and freezing
These delicious chocolate peanut butter crisp rice treats can melt quickly so I recommend storing them in the refrigerator. I keep them in the refrigerator just until I am ready to eat them.
You can store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Cut into squares and freeze this peanut butter rice krispie bars recipe for up to 3 months. Thaw each individually in the refrigerator or at room temperature and enjoy!
Check out these other easy dessert recipes!
- No Bake Cookie Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Mini Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Fudgy Brownie Bites
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp salt (omit if your peanut butter is salted)
- 2 cups rice krispie cereal – I like Traders Joe’s version
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Flakey sea salt to top
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup honey, and 1/4 tsp salt
- Once thoroughly combined add the rice crispies to the bowl and mix again
- Mix until the cereal and pb are an even mixture
- Press firmly into the pan
- Heat chocolate chips and 1 tbsp of peanut butter in the microwave or over a double boiler until the chocolate melts and the peanut butter can be easily mixed in
- Pour the chocolate over the rice krispie layer
- Season with flakey sea salt if desired
- Place in the fridge to chill until the bars are solid – at least 2 hours
- Cut the bars into 16 even squares and enjoy!
- Store the bars in the fridge and enjoy shortly after removing from the fridge because the bars will melt quickly
- You can use other types of nut butter like almond butter or cashew butter in place of the peanut butter
- You can use other types of cereal like rice chex in place of the rice krispies