This Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry is a delicious and savory pumpkin curry recipe made with flavorful spices, pureed pumpkin, and creamy coconut milk. Use your leftover canned pumpkin in this healthy chicken curry!
Use your leftover pumpkin puree for a savory pumpkin curry recipe
This pumpkin coconut chicken curry is the perfect way to use any leftover pumpkin puree. Just take the pumpkin and mix it with savory spices, chicken and a creamy coconut milk for a healthy chicken curry.
This warm and creamy, yet spicy curry is a wonderful meal to welcome those cold fall nights. I serve this pumpkin coconut curry with cauliflower rice or regular rice depending on my mood and whether or not I am on the Whole30.
You can also make this recipe fully vegan with 2 cans of chickpeas instead of chicken!
Check out these other healthy pumpkin recipes
- Spicy Pumpkin One Pot Pasta
- Healthy Pumpkin Chicken Chili
- Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies
What kitchen tools will I need to make this Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry?
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring cups
- Can opener
- Large frying pan
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Wooden mixing spoon
What ingredients do I need to make this healthy pumpkin curry recipe?
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Avocado oil
- Chicken breast or chickpeas
- Full fat coconut milk
- Pumpkin puree
- Ground ginger
- Ground turmeric
- Black pepper
- Chili powder
- Optional: arrowroot starch
Can I use regular dairy instead?
Yes! If you want to use regular dairy you can use unsalted butter and heavy cream in place of ghee and full fay coconut milk.
How to make pumpkin curry
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
First, dice the onion, mince the garlic, and mix spices together in a small mixing bowl. Then, cube the chicken into bite size pieces.
Step 2: Saute onions, garlic and spices
Next, add avocado oil to a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant about 3 minutes. Then, add the spice mixture to the pan and toast the spices with the onion and garlic for a minute.
Step 3: Saute Chicken
Next, increase the heat to medium and add the chicken in the pan with the onions, garlic and spices. Saute the chicken tossing frequently until almost fully cooked about 5 minutes.
Step 4: Simmer in sauce and thicken
Then, combine pumpkin puree and coconut milk in a small mixing bowl. Pour into the frying pan and increase heat. Cook until the mixture bubbles. Then, reduce to a simmer.
Simmer uncovered for 8 minutes. Optional step to thicken sauce: While simmering combine 1/4 cup of water with 1 tbsp arrowroot starch. Pour mixture in pan and stir mixture until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and enjoy!
Step 5: Enjoy!
Can I make this pumpkin curry vegetarian?
Yes, just replace the chicken with 2 cans of chickpeas and you will be left with a fully vegan recipe!
How long will this pumpkin coconut curry last in the fridge?
Once prepared, store this Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What should I serve this with?
I like to serve this pumpkin curry with fluffy white rice or coconut rice and roasted veggies! I love to make a batch of crispy air fryer brussles sprouts and serve them in the same bowl as the curry.
Check Out These Other Comforting Skillet Dishes
Keep reading to grab the full recipe for the curry. If you make this recipe please leave a rating and review in the comments or let me know on Instagram.
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (15oz)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Optional: 1/4 cup water
- Optional: 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- Dice yellow onion, mince garlic, and combine all seasonings in a small mixing bowl
- Then cube chicken
- Heat avocado oil, onion, and garlic in a large frying pan over medium-low heat
- Saute until fragrant about 3 minutes
- Add spices to the pan and toast for about a minute
- Increase heat to medium and add chicken to the pan
- Toss chicken to coat in spices and saute until almost fully cooked about 6 minutes
- While the chicken cooks mix together pumpkin puree and coconut milk in a small mixing bowl
- Pour sauce into pan and increase heat to medium-high until the sauce bubbles
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 8 minutes stirring occasionally
- Optional step to thicken sauce: combine 1/4 cup water and 1 tbsp arrowroot starch, pour mixture into pan, stir until sauce thickens and coats chicken
- Remove from heat and enjoy with rice or caulilfower rice and veggies