This Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry is a savory one-pan meal made with flavorful spices, pureed pumpkin, and creamy coconut milk. Use your leftover canned pumpkin in this healthy chicken curry!
Pumpkin isn’t just for sweet recipes!
This pumpkin coconut chicken curry is the perfect proof that I should just leave the baking to the experts and I’ll stick to the savory foods. I was working my bum off trying to come up with delicious and innovative pumpkin desserts, when what I should have been doing is using my pumpkin in savory dishes! This warm and creamy, yet spicy curry is a wonderful meal to welcome those cold fall nights.
I would love to tell you that these meal made for delicious leftovers, but I cannot because there was nothing leftover after the first night!! So, if I can impart any wisdom on you, I would tell you to double the recipe because you will be wanting more later.
I serve this healthy chicken curry with cauliflower rice or regular rice depending on my mood and whether or not I am on the Whole30. You can also make this recipe fully vegan with 2 cans of chickpeas instead of chicken!
What kitchen tools will I need to make this Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry?
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring cups
- Can opener
- Large frying pan
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Wooden mixing spoon
What ingredients do I need to make this healthy chicken curry?
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Avocado oil
- Chicken breast or chickpeas
- Full fat coconut milk
- Pumpkin puree
- Ground ginger
- Ground turmeric
- Black pepper
- Chili powder
- Optional: arrowroot starch
Let’s make some Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry!
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
First, dice the onion, mince the garlic, and mix spices together in a small mixing bowl. Then, cube the chicken into bite size pieces.
Step 2: Saute onions, garlic and spices
Next, add avocado oil to a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant about 3 minutes. Then, add the spice mixture to the pan and toast the spices with the onion and garlic for a minute.
Step 3: Saute Chicken
Next, increase the heat to medium and add the chicken in the pan with the onions, garlic and spices. Saute the chicken tossing frequently until almost fully cooked about 5 minutes.
Step 4: Simmer in sauce and thicken
Then, combine pumpkin puree and coconut milk in a small mixing bowl. Pour into the frying pan and increase heat. Cook until the mixture bubbles. Then, reduce to a simmer.
Simmer uncovered for 8 minutes. Optional step to thicken sauce: While simmering combine 1/4 cup of water with 1 tbsp arrowroot starch. Pour mixture in pan and stir mixture until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and enjoy!
Step 5: Enjoy!
Can I make this pumpkin curry vegetarian?
Yes, just replace the chicken with 2 cans of chickpeas and you will be left with a fully vegan recipe!
How long will this one pan meal last in the fridge?
Once prepared, store this Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Keep reading to grab the full recipe for the curry. If you make this recipe please leave a rating and review in the comments or let me know on Instagram.Print
A healthy one pan chicken curry made with creamy pumkin puree!
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (15oz)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Optional: 1/4 cup water
- Optional: 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- Dice yellow onion, mince garlic, and combine all seasonings in a small mixing bowl
- Then cube chicken
- Heat avocado oil, onion, and garlic in a large frying pan over medium-low heat
- Saute until fragrant about 3 minutes
- Add spices to the pan and toast for about a minute
- Increase heat to medium and add chicken to the pan
- Toss chicken to coat in spices and saute until almost fully cooked about 6 minutes
- While the chicken cooks mix together pumpkin puree and coconut milk in a small mixing bowl
- Pour sauce into pan and increase heat to medium-high until the sauce bubbles
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 8 minutes stirring occasionally
- Optional step to thicken sauce: combine 1/4 cup water and 1 tbsp arrowroot starch, pour mixture into pan, stir until sauce thickens and coats chicken
- Remove from heat and enjoy with rice or caulilfower rice and veggies
Keywords: healthy chicken curry, whole30 chicken curry, coconut chicken curry