These Greek Chicken Meatballs are tender, juicy, and loaded with flavor. Serve them for a quick meal or prep a batch of these chicken meatballs for meal prep.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy and ready in 30 minutes – These Greek meatballs are one of my favorite things to whip up because not only are they so easy but they are so versatile. Combine all of the ingredients, sear for 3 minutes and then bake for 12-14 minutes. The whole recipe takes less than 30 minutes.
- Healthy source of protein – The meatball mixture is made with ground chicken which is a healthy lean protein. These tender and flavorful meatballs are the perfect addition to any high protein diet.
- Perfect for meal prep – You can enjoy these tasty meatballs in so many different ways. Make a batch and serve them on a salad, in a pita or with your favorite pasta dish.
- Mixing bowls
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups, measuring spoons, liquid measuring cup
- Cookie scoop for scooping meatballs
- Oven-safe skillet
Can i bake these on a sheet pan?
Yes. If you do not have an oven safe skillet, you can bake them on a baking sheet.
Just brown the meatballs on the stovetop in any pan. Then, bake them in the oven on a parchment paper lined baking sheet instead of in the skillet. You can also skip the browning step and bake them at 375F for 20-22 minutes.
There are so many different ways to enjoy this greek meatball recipe. Two of my favorite ways are in pita bread and on a salad.
Serve in pitas: To enjoy these chicken meatballs in pita, cut the pitas in half and open up the pocket. Spread tzatziki inside followed by some cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, and fresh herbs.
Cut the chicken meatballs in half and place them inside the pita followed by lettuce, fresh mint, and some tasty crumbled feta. You can also make a healthy homemade tzatziki sauce with grated cucumber, fresh dill, lemon juice, lemon zest, and greek yogurt.
Serve on a salad: To add these baked chicken meatballs to a salad, put down a bed of lettuce followed by chopped veggies, the chicken meatballs, crumbled feta, and fresh mint. Use tzatziki as a dressing or cut-up meatballs and toss the salad in a simple mixture of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice. You can also use this creamy greek yogurt salad dressing.
This greek meatball recipe also pairs well with a bowl of white rice, cauliflower rice, or some oven-roasted potatoes. You can also serve them alongside this easy greek salad recipe or this Mediterranean orzo salad.
- Ground chicken – tender ground chicken is the perfect base for these chicken meatballs. You can buy ground chicken at the market or process boneless skinless chicken breasts in a food processor until finely minced.
- Bell pepper – finely chopped bell pepper adds flavor and moisture to the meat mixture. I like to use red bell pepper because of its vibrant color and slightly sweet taste.
- Egg – use a large egg to bind the chicken meatball mixture together.
- Crumbled feta cheese – buy the cheese pre crumbled or buy a brick of feta in brine and crumble it yourself.
- Bread crumbs – plain panko breadcrumbs add texture to the ground meat and help keep these meatballs tender when baked. If you use seasoned bread crumbs, omit the salt to reduce the sodium of the final dish.
- Dried parsley, salt, garlic powder, dried dill – use this dried seasoning blend to flavor the meatballs. Add additional spices or seasonings to add even more flavor. I like to add dried oregano, dried basil and crushed red pepper flakes to mine.
It is very easy to make this greek meatball recipe gluten-free. Just use almond flour instead of bread crumbs.
If you are looking for a dairy-free chicken meatball, just omit the feta cheese. You could also replace it with a plant based feta cheese.
If you do not have ground chicken or you prefer turkey, you can also use ground turkey for this greek meatball recipe. You can even use ground lamb, ground beef or a mix of ground meats.
To add ever more flavor to this greek chicken meatball recipe, feel free to mix in additional ingredients like finely diced red onion, chopped kalamata olives and fresh herbs like fresh parsley, basil or dill.
How to make greek Chicken Meatballs
Step 1: Make the meatballs
To begin, preheat the oven to 375. While the oven is preheating, place the ground chicken, diced bell pepper, egg, crumbled feta, bread crumbs, and seasonings into a large bowl.
Use clean hands or a spoon to mix everything together very well. I find that using my hands is the best way to get everything perfectly mixed.
Then, scoop out 12 meatballs either using a spoon, cookie scoop, or your hands. Each chicken meatball should be about 2 tbsp. Then, roll each into a ball with wet hands.
Step 2: Sear the meatballs
Next, you will want to heat a drizzle of olive oil in an oven-safe large skillet over medium heat. Sear the meatballs on one side for about 3 minutes.
Then, flip the meatballs carefully because they will be slightly soft. Place the skillet in the oven so they can finish cooking.
Step 3: bake the Meatballs and serve
Lastly, cook the chicken meatballs in the oven at 375F for 12-14 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check for an internal temperature of at least 165F to determine if the meatballs are cooked.
Once the baked chicken meatballs are fully cooked through, take them out of rthe oven and allow them to slightly cool before serving.
Once prepared, allow the meatballs to cool completely and transfer to an airtight container. Then, store the meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Remove leftovers from the fridge and reheat in an oven, toaster oven, or in microwave. It sometimes helps to slice the meatballs before reheating if you plan on serving them sliced anyway.
Can I Freeze These Greek chicken meatballs?
Yes! I find that meatballs freeze really well. Some of my other freezer friendly meatball recipes are listed below.
To freeze this recipe, let the greek meatballs cool completely and then freeze in an airtight container. Let them thaw before reheating them in an oven, toaster oven, or microwave.
Check out these other meatball recipes
- Crockpot Meatballs and Sauce
- Cast Iron Meatballs
- Sweet and Sour Chicken Meatballs
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ a bell pepper – finely diced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs (use 2 tbsp almond flour to make gluten free)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried dill
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place ground chicken, diced bell pepper, egg, crumbled feta, bread crumbs and seasonings into a large mixing bowl. Use clean hands or a spoon to mix together.
- Scoop out 12 meatballs – each about 2 tbsp. Roll each into a ball with wet hands.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in an oven safe skillet over medium heat. Sear the meatballs on one side for about 3 minutes. Flip gently (they will be slightly soft) and place skillet in the oven.
- Cook meatballs in the oven at 375F for 12-14 minutes. Check for an internal temperature of at least 165F. Allow the meatballs to cool slightly and serve.
*** Skip the searing step and bake on a baking sheet for 20-22 minutes at 375F
*** Serve in pitas – cut pitas in half and open up the pocket. Spread tzatziki inside followed by some cucumber and bell pepper. Cut the meatballs in half and place inside the pita followed by lettuce, fresh mint and crumbled feta.
*** Serve on a salad – put down a bed of lettuce followed by chopped veggies, meatballs, crumbled feta and fresh mint. Use tzatziki as a dressing or cut up meatballs and toss the salad in a simple mixture of olive oil, red wine vinegar and lemon juice.