If you love pickles, you need to try this delicious and tangy Dill Pickle Chicken Salad recipe. It is perfect on its own or on a sandwich or wrap!
Tangy dill pickle salad is perfect for meal prep
I love a good chicken salad and I love dill pickles even more. It only made sense that I combine the two and make this incredible dill pickle chicken salad.
You get the crunch from the cucumber and tang from pickles and mayonnaise to get the perfect flavor combination. Toss it all with shredded chicken and some fresh dill and you are ready to serve.
It is the perfect meal prep option because there are so many ways to serve it. I love to have easy grab and go protein options in the fridge like this pickle chicken salad.
- Sauce pan for poaching chicken
- Two forks or a hand mixer to shred chicken breast
- Sharp knife and cutting board to prep other ingredients
- Large mixing bowl and large spoon for mixing
How to serve
Like I said there are many ways to serve this dill pickle salad. If you are trying to keep your meals low carb then you can serve it on chopped lettuce or in lettuce cups like a little wrap.
I like to eat it on toasted sourdough bread with some cheddar cheese and fresh lettuce. It is also delicious rolled up in large tortilla like a wrap.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Dill pickles
- Dill pickle juice
- Fresh dill
- Crushed red pepper
Feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs in place of chicken breasts. You could also use a prepared rotisserie chicken to make this recipe even easier.
I prefer the taste of dill pickles, but if you would like a slightly sweet pickle salad, feel free to use bread and butter pickles in place of dil. To make this pickle chicken salad a little spicier you could use spicy dill pickles.
If you do not have fresh dill to use, you can use dried dill instead, but you will only need about 1 tsp of dried dill.
How to make a dill pickle chicken salad
Step 1: Poach chicken Breasts
To begin, place chicken breasts in a sauce pan and fill with water until the chicken is covered with at least 2 inches of water.
Then, heat the pot over high heat until the water comes to a rolling boil. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to a simmer.
Simmer for the chicken for 14 minutes and remove the chicken from the pot immediately.
Step 2: Prep other ingredients
Then, while the chicken cooks, dice cucumber and pickles, and chop dill. Mix cucumbers, pickles, mayo, pickle juice, dill and crushed red pepper together in a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: Mix it all together, chill and serve
Next, allow chicken breasts to cool slightly and then shred with two forks. Cool shredded chicken completely. This happens pretty quickly.
Finally, mix with the wet ingredients.Toss to combine completely and place in the fridge to chill. Serve cold
Prepare this chicken salad with pickles and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Some liquid might accumulate as the chicken salad sits in the fridge so you can drain it off before serving.
Check out these other healthy Chicken Salad Recipes
- Curry Chicken Salad
- BLT Chicken Salad
- Bacon Broccoli and Ranch Chicken Salad
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Salad
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup fresh diced cucumber (I like to use seedless english cucumber)
1 cup diced dill pickles
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp dill pickle juice
2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- Place chicken breasts in a sauce pan and fill with water until the chicken is covered with at least 2 inches of water.
- Heat over high heat until the water comes to a rolling boil. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 14 minutes and remove the chicken from the pot immediately.
- While the chicken cooks, dice cucumber and pickles, and chop dill. Mix cucumbers, pickles, mayo, pickle juice, dill and crushed red pepper together in a large mixing bowl.
- Allow chicken breasts to cool slightly and then shred with two forks. Cool shredded chicken completely (this happens pretty quickly) and then mix with the wet ingredients.
- Toss to combine completely and place in the fridge to chill. Serve cold.