This Chicken Caprese Salad is the perfect meal prep recipe. Turn a classic caprese salad into a full meal by mixing it with shredded chicken.
Elevate a classic caprese salad with a serving of protein
In my humble opinion, a caprese salad ranks among the best Italian appetizers. However, it tends to be scarfed down quickly and it doesn’t always leave me feeling full.
This is where the chicken caprese salad comes into play. By introducing chicken to this classic dish, it transforms from a quick bite to a hearty meal.
With this recipe, you can savor the essence of a popular Italian appetizer while also getting a solid serving of protein. It is satisfying, healthy, and simply delicious.
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Measuring spoons and liquid measuring cup
- Mixing bowl
This caprese salad with shredded chicken can be enjoyed in many different ways. It is the perfect recipe to whip up for a quick dinner or to prep ahead for some weekday lunches.
With a mayo-based dressing, it pairs perfectly on top of some greens as a salad. It goes well over a bed of lettuce or you could switch it up and serve it on arugula or spinach. You could even use boats of romaine lettuce and make little tacos.
If you are looking to add some carbs to this meal, this caprese chicken salad pairs perfectly with your bread of choice. Serve it on a wrap, sandwich bread, or even a toasted roll.
- Chicken breasts
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- Mozzarella cheese – fresh mozzarella balls cut into cubes or mini mozzarella pearls
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dried basil
- Black pepper
You know I am a big fan of versatile recipes and this caprese salad with chicken is no exception. There are many ways to make this recipe exactly how you want it.
Feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this chicken caprese salad recipe instead of chicken breasts. Just make sure the chicken thighs reach an internal temperature of 165F to ensure they are fully cooked.
Not a fan of mayo? No problem, greek yogurt is an excellent substitution that will still achieve the same effect.
The mozzarella is a staple piece of this dish but the type of mozzarella doesn’t matter. Feel free to use mini mozzarella pearls instead of cutting up a larger piece.
If you do not have access to fresh basil leaves you can use dried basil, but be careful to use just a teaspoon because it has much more concentrated flavor.
Save time by using a rotisserie chicken. Just shred the meat off the breast and use in this recipe. You could also use previously grilled chicken cut into cubes.
What is a Traditional Caprese salad?
The traditional caprese salad is a classic Italian dish that is celebrated for its simplicity, fresh flavors, and representation of the Italian flag. It is typically made up of tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper.
This chicken caprese salad offers a delightful twist on the timeless recipe, introducing a substantial protein addition without losing its simple nature. Both the original rendition and this version with chicken share the same core ingredients, keeping the spirit of the popular dish intact.
How to make A chicken caprese salad
Step 1: boil the chicken
To start, slice cherry tomatoes and cube the fresh mozzarella cheese. Then, place chicken breasts in a saucepan and fill with water. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover the pot.
Simmer the chicken for 14 minutes. Then, remove the chicken breasts from the pot.
Step 2: Prepare the dressing
Allow the chicken breasts to cool. While they are cooling, prepare the marinade ingredients.
Whisk together mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, dried basil, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: mix everything together
Then, shred the chicken breasts with 2 forks and place shredded chicken in the mixing bowl along with quartered cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. Toss to coat all of the ingredients in the mayo mixture evenly and serve.
When you serve garnish with more fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
make ahead tips and storage
To make this salad ahead of time, prep all of the ingredients and mix just before serving. This will help keep the tomatoes fresh.
Once prepared, transfer any leftovers of this chicken caprese salad to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Check out these other chicken salad recipes
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- 2 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh basil cut into ribbons
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Place chicken breasts in a sauce pan and fill with water. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer for 14 minutes, remove the chicken breasts from the pot and allow to cool.
- While the chicken breasts cool, whisk together mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar dried basil and black pepper in a large mixing bowl
- Shred chicken breasts with 2 forks and place shredded chicken in the mixing bowl along with quartered cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil.
- Toss to coat all of the ingredients in the mayo mixture evenly and serve.
- You can use mini mozzarella pearls in place of cut mozzarella
- You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs in place of chicken breast
- If you don’t like mayo, you can use plain greek yogurt in place of the mayonnaise