This Whole30 Sushi Burrito is my way to cure my sushi cravings during the Whole30. You can easily make a delicious sushi burrito at home with simple and healthy ingredients. I also share how I select my seafood and a video of how I roll this up.
Keep things fun and interesting to stay on track during the Whole30!
I am on Whole30 day 28 and feeling amazing. Even though I am on vacation and would usually indulge in this scenario, I have not been tempted to stray from Whole30 compliant foods. I guess the tiger blood is a real thing, but I also think eating fun and compliant foods like this Whole30 sushi burritos have kept me on track.
During the first 10 days of the Whole30 I was easily tempted by non compliant foods. So at the start I needed to keep. foods fun and interesting so that I would chose them over the non Whole30 options. This Whole30 sushi burrito got me through some tough days of cravings.
I developed this Whole30 sushi burrito to help with some intense sushi cravings that I was having. It has all of the components of sushi without any of the non compliant ingredients! The best part about this sushi burrito is that you can make it with any of your favorite sushi ingredients!
How do you select the right seafood for a Sushi Burrito?
It is important to note what to look out for when selecting seafood for your sushi burrito. if you are going to have it raw, you will want to look for sushi grade fish, but the truth is that the term sushi grade is not regulated.
So what you are really looking for is any raw fish that is very fresh and very high quality. Otherwise your seafood will taste “fishy” and that’s not ideal.
If you aren’t sure how to find this check out a local farmers market, seafood market or just talk to the people at the seafood counter in your local supermarket.
I talked to the workers at the seafood counter at my Whole Foods and he pointed me in the direction of some salmon that wasn’t technically sushi grade, BUT was never frozen and had just come in that day. It tasted incredible raw!!
If you are looking to go the budget friendly route, buy frozen shrimp at the store. Then let the shrimp defrost, steam them and chop them up. Its much more affordable and tastes great in the spicy mayo mix.
How to make a sushi burrito at home
This recipe might looks complex, but it is honestly easier than you might think. I wanted you all to see just how easy it is to make this whole30 sushi burrito so I included a full step by step video above.
The hardest part in this recipe is definitely getting a tight roll. So if yours is imperfect on the first few rolls do not worry!
Your sushi burrito roll will get tighter and better with time. If you don’t want to waste ingredients while your perfect the art of the roll, you can practice with some veggies!
The essential ingredients for this Whole30 sushi burrito are nori paper sheets and cauliflower rice. Other than that you will need some veggies and seafood.
Some of my favorite veggies to use in this are cucumbers and steamed asparagus. I also like to add lots of good fats to make this sushi burrito satisfying.
Keep reading to see the full instructions to make this recipe. Enjoy your Whole30 sushi burritos and as usual tag me in your creations on Instagram!
- Heat the cauliflower rice in a skillet over medium heat until cooked through
- Remove the pan from the heat and then mix the rice vinegar into the cauliflower rice
- Slice 1/4 of an avocado into thin slices
- Slice 1/8 of a cucumber into thin slices
- Take one serving of seafood and cube it like to use cooked shrimp, raw ahi tuna or raw salmon
- Place the seafood in a mixing bowl and add mayo and sriracha to the bowl. Thoroughly mix the seafood with the sauce
- Prepare any other fillings you would like, I sometimes use steamed asparagus
- Place a sheet of sushi nori on a piece of parchment paper
- Spread a thin layer of cauliflower rice over the nori leaving a small strip of nori empty at the top
- Line up fillings in small lines at the middle of the nori
- Add some water to the exposed nori so that it will stick when rolled
- Use the parchment to help and roll the whole thing up into a tube
- Slice the sushi burrito in half and enjoy immediately. Use the parchment to help keep the roll together as you eat