Use ground pork rinds to make these amazing air fryer chicken nuggets
Chicken nuggets are my #1 comfort food. There is no denying that.
When I was younger I was that kid who would only eat chicken fingers or chicken nuggets at a restaurant. I am proud to say that these low carb air fryer chicken nuggets bring me right back to that time.
This keto chicken nugget recipe has prompted me to add chicken nuggets to the list of foods I like better at home.
That list also includes homemade dressings, all types of eggs and avocado toast. I will however make an exception to this rule if I am in Nashville, on a road trip or severely hungover.
These chicken nuggets in an air fryer are made with just a few simple ingredients and it takes around 20 minutes to throw together a delicious Whole30 and paleo friendly meal that will satisfy both the adults and kids in your life.
What air fryer should I use to make these chicken nuggets?
There are many air fryers on the market that you can use to make these keto chicken nuggets.
Most air fryers are an egg-shaped appliance that sits on the countertop and can be easily moved around. There are controls on the top and a basket to cook the food in on the bottom. The Ninja air fryer is a very popular option.
The air fryer that I have is a combination toaster oven and air fryer. I like this one because it has a slightly larger basket to cook bigger portions. It takes up more room on the counter, but it is more attractive and can be used for more than just air frying.
What other recipes can I make in an air fryer?
Use these recipes to make other foods in an air fryer:
What kitchen tools should I use to make these Low Carb Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets?
- Air fryer – I am sure this is obvious, but this is the most crucial kitchen tool for this air fryer chicken nugget recipe
- Food processor for processing the pork rinds for the breading
- Measuring spoons or measuring cups for measuring ingredients
What ingredients do you need to make air fryer chicken nuggets?
The next question you might be asking yourself about these low carb air fryer chicken nuggets might be, “you’re breading them with what!?!”
Before you get all weirded out that I have decided to bread my nuggets with pork rinds all I can say is don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.
Let’s make some Low Carb Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets!
Next, set up a breading station with coconut flour, pork rind bread crumbs, and two whisked eggs each in separate shallow bowls. Bread each chicken piece by dipping it in coconut flour, then egg wash and finally press into the pork rind bread crumbs.
Then, preheat the air fryer to 400F and cook nuggets for 8 minutes or until the internal temperature of the nuggets reaches 165F. Remove the chicken nuggets from the air fryer and allow them to cool slightly.
Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How long are these keto chicken nuggets good for?
What sauces should I eat with these air fryer nuggets?
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups ground pork rinds
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cut chicken breasts into small nugget like pieces
- Process pork rinds in a food processor until they are the texture of bread crumbs – if you don’t have a food processor you can place them in a large plastic bag and smash them
- Set up a breading station with coconut flour, pork rind bread crumbs, and two whisked eggs each in separate shallow bowls
- Bread each chicken piece by dipping it in coconut flour, then egg wash and finally press into the pork rind bread crumbs
- Spray your air fryer basket with spray oil and place breaded nuggets in the basket – depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to cook the chicken nuggets in more than one batch
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F and cook nuggets for 8 minutes or until the internal temperature of the nuggets reaches 165F
- Remove the chicken nuggets from the air fryer and allow them to cool slightly
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days