Simplify your Thanksgiving dinner prep with these Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes. These simple one pot mashed potatoes are super fluffy and made with just a few simple ingredients.
Mashed potatoes are my favorite Thanksgiving dinner side dish.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the turkey and the stuffing and the gravy, but I REALLY love these easy creamy mashed potatoes. Last year I made them as a side dish for three separate Friendsgiving dinners.
This year was my fourth time making my easy creamy mashed potatoes and I know that I have perfected the fluffy whipped texture and creamy, buttery taste that is essential for perfect mashed potatoes.
What kitchen tools do you need to make these easy creamy mashed potatoes?
- A large stockpot for boiling and mixing the potatoes
- A hand mixer for whipping up the potatoes
- A large serving dish to storing and reheating these potatoes
What ingredients do you need to make these easy creamy mashed potatoes?
- Russet potatoes
- Half & half milk
- Sour cream
Let’s make some easy creamy mashed potatoes!
Step 1: Peel and Cube
Peel the russet potatoes and cut into 1” cubes. Add potatoes to a large stockpot with 2 tbsp of salt.
Step 2: Boil
Fill the stockpot with cold water until the potatoes are fully covered. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer the potatoes for 10 minutes and then remove from the heat.
Step 3: Melt the butter
Drain the potatoes and immediately return the warm potatoes to the original pot. Add milk and butter to the pot and recover the pot until the butter fully melts.
Step 4: Whip the Potatoes
Use a hand mixer and whip the potatoes in the pot. Once fully mixed, add in the sour cream and continuing whipping the potatoes.
Can I make these easy creamy mashed potatoes ahead of time?
Yes! If I make these ahead of time, I pour them into the serving dish and allow them to cool fully. Then I top them with some butter and milk, cover the pan and place in the refrigerator. Then, I reheat them covered in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes.
Can you taste the sour cream when they are finished?
NO! If you are not a fan of sour cream, do not fear! This ingredient makes for smooth, creamy and rich mashed potatoes!
Grab the recipe for these fluffy, whipped mashed potatoes below!
Keeping reading for the full recipe for these simple mashed potatoes below. If you make the recipe, please let me know in the comments below or on Instagram!Print
Make creamy and fluffy mashed potatoes in one pot!
- Peel russet potatoes and cut into 1″ cubes
- Place potatoes and 2 tbsp salt into a large stock pot
- Fill the pot with cold water until the potatoes are fully submerged and the top layer is covered in at least 2″ of water
- Place the pot on the stove and bring the water to a boil
- Once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot
- Allow the potatoes to simmer for at least 10 minutes – potatoes should be soft when pierced with a fork
- Remove the pot from the stove and drain the water
- Immediately return the hot potatoes to the stockpot and cover the pot to retain the heat
- Place a stick of butter and half and half in the warm pot
- Cover the pot and wait a few minutes for the butter to melt
- Using an electric hand mixer, mix the potatoes until almost fully whipped
- Add sour cream to the pot and continue mixing with the hand mixer until fully mixed in
- Best if served immediately!
- If you are making these potatoes ahead of time and serving later, allow the mashed potatoes to cool fully then add some butter and milk on top, cover and place in the fridge until you are ready to reheat
Keywords: easy creamy mashed potatoes, creamy one pot potatoes, classic creamy mashed potatoes