Chocolate Ganache Cake
Make a Chocolate Ganache Cake with a moist and fluffy cake base and a thick layer of chocolate ganache icing. It is the perfect cake recipe for any celebration!
A decadent cake that is easy to make
If you are craving something sweet but don’t want to spend all day baking, this chocolate ganache cake recipe is for you. It is equally tasty as it is simple.
The moist and fluffy base combines perfectly with the rich chocolate icing to make a mouth-watering ganache cake. Whether you make this for your next family gathering or just to satisfy your own sweet tooth, I guarantee you it won’t disappoint.
If you are new to baking, do not fear. This ganache cake recipe is easy to follow and is a great homemade dessert for all skill levels.
Plus, you save time by making a ganache icing instead of a traditional chocolate buttercream frosting. I promise you will love how this rich icing tastes with the moist chocolate cake.
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Mixing bowls
- Whisk and spatula
- 8×8 baking pan
- Parchment paper
what is the difference between chocolate frosting and chocolate ganache?
So, what exactly is ganache and how is it different than frosting? While both are used as a topping for cakes and other baked goods, there are some differences.
Chocolate ganache is made up of just heavy cream and chocolate while chocolate frosting is typically made of butter, sugar, and chocolate. In addition to that, ganache is like a glaze that hardens as a shell while frosting remains fluffy and soft.
Ganache may sound fancy (and it tastes fancy) but it is quite simple to make since it only requires two ingredients. It just requires heavy whisking.
- Granulated sugar
- Instant coffee
- All-purpose flour
- Dutch process cocoa powder
- Baking soda and baking powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy cream
There are not many changes you can make to this simple chocolate cake recipe. To make this chocolate ganache cake gluten-free, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend instead of the standard flour.
To turn this into a layer cake, you can multiply the cake ingredients by 1.5 and bake the cakes in two 8″ round pans instead of one square pan. Then, double the ganache recipe and ice between the cake layers as well as on top of them.
You can serve this rich chocolate cake as dessert after a romantic meal or at a dinner party. I would love a slice of this after a cozy meal like a spatchcock chicken.
This cake is perfectly complimented by a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you ask my dad, he’d probably pair it with a strong shot of espresso!
How to make this rich chocolate ganache cake
Step 1: Prepare cake batter
To begin, preheat the oven to 350F and line the baking pan with parchment paper. While the oven is preheating, whisk together melted butter, eggs, buttermilk, sugar, and instant coffee until smooth in a large bowl.
Then, pour flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl. Whisk again until it becomes a smooth batter.
Step 2: Bake the cake
Then, pour the batter into a greased or lined 8×8 baking pan. Smooth it into an even layer with a spatula.
Bake at 350F for 40 minutes and then remove once done and set aside.
Step 3: Make Chocolate ganache, Cool, and store
Next, immediately prepare chocolate ganache by pouring semi-sweet chocolate chips into a mixing bowl. Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over high heat until it just starts to boil.
Then, pour scalded cream over the chocolate chips and whisk immediately. Continue whisking until completely smooth and then pour ganache over the warm cake in the pan and smooth over top.
Allow this chocolate ganache cake to cool to room temperature before cutting it into slices. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Allow the chocolate ganache cake to cool completely and then transfer it to a an airtight container. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Check out these other Chocolate Dessert recipes
- Chocolate Chess Pie
- Flourless Double Chocolate Brownies
- Healthier Double Chocolate Truffles
- Banana Bars with Chocolate Ganache
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
Chocolate Ganache Cake
Make a decadent and moist chocolate cake topped with rich chocolate ganache
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter – melted
- 2 eggs – room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk – room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together melted butter, eggs, buttermilk, sugar, and instant coffee until smooth.
- Pour flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl. Whisk again until a smooth batter remains.
- Pour batter into a greased or lined 8×8 baking pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.
- Remove cake from the oven and set aside.
- Immediately prepare chocolate ganache. Pour semi-sweet chocolate chips into a mixing bowl. Heat heavy cream in a sauce pan over high heat until it just starts to boil. Pour scalded cream over the chocolate chips and whisk immediately. Continue whisking until completely smooth.
- Pour ganache over warm cake in the pan and smooth over top.
- Allow cake to cool completely before cutting into slices.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Leave a Comment