Use fresh tomatoes to make a delicious Instant Pot Tomato Soup. Serve with fresh cream and croutons or a grilled cheese.
Use fresh roma tomatoes to make a delicious tomato soup
There is always one point in the summer when gardens and farmers markets are simply exploding with tomatoes. During this time I’m always looking for different ways to use these tomatoes and save them for the winter months.
Make this quick and easy instant pot tomato soup when the tomatoes are ripe and enjoy it during the chill fall and winter months. I like to make a big batch of this soup and then save it for
How to serve this soup?
I like to serve this instant pot tomato soup on its own with a drizzle of heavy cream or a dollop of creme fraiche. Then, I make simple sourdough croutons in my air fryer and place them on top with fresh basil.
This soup would also be delicious with grilled cheese sandwiches. I like to make a homemade grilled cheese with gruyere cheese. Then, I cut it into little strips and dunk them into the soup.
- Instant Pot or any pressure cooker
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Serrated knife for cutting tomatoes
- Immersion blender or regular blender
- Ladle for scooping soup
Which instant pot should i buy?
- Whole fresh tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Garlic and yellow onion
- White balsamic vinegar
- Salt, pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano
- Vegetable broth or stock
- Tomato paste
- Heavy cream
What kind of tomatoes are best for tomato soup?
I like to use roma tomatoes for tomato soup because they do not have a lot of flavor when you eat them raw, but when they are cooked down for soup, the flavor intensifies. Roma tomatoes are a type of plum tomato so you can also use any kind of plum tomato for tomato soup in an instant pot.
Can i make this dairy free?
Yes! You can make this instant pot tomato soup dairy free by completely omitting the heavy cream or you can replace the heavy cream with coconut cream or cashew cream. You can even use my homemade cashew sour cream recipe as a substitute to add creaminess and tang to this soup.
What should I use to puree the soup?
How to make Instant pot tomato soup
Step 1: Saute garlic, onion and seasonings
To begin, smash garlic cloves and dice yellow onion. Cut roma tomatoes into sixths or quarters depending on the size of the tomato.
Turn your instant pot on to saute and allow it to warm up for a few minutes. Pour in olive oil, smashed garlic cloves, and yellow onion. Allow them to saute until soft and fragrant then mix in the salt, pepper, dried oregano and dried basil.
Step 2: mix in other ingredients and pressure cook
Then, close the top to the instant pot and set the vent to sealing. Cook on manual/high pressure for 14 minutes.
Step 3: Blend soup and serve
Serve with heavy cream or creme fraiche, fresh cracked pepper, salt, sourdough croutons and fresh basil.
Can I make this soup on the stovetop?
Yes!! If you do not have an instant pot or pressure cooker you can definitely make these homemade tomato soup on your stove. Just follow the instructions above for sautéing the ingredients.
Then, instead of pressure cooking the soup, bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer covered for 1 hour. Mix in the cream and blend with an immersion blender.
Storage, freezing and reheating
Once prepared, allow the soup to cool completely. If storing in the fridge, transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat over medium low heat in a sauce pan on the stove top.
If you want to freeze this soup, I recommend using souper cubes. Freeze the soup into cubes and then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Defrost and reheat the soup on the stove top. Stir in extra cream to revive the soup after freezing!
Check out these other vegetarian Soup Recipes!
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- Classic Vegetable Soup (Progresso Copycat)
- Sweet Potato Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- Smash and peel garlic cloves. Dice yellow onion into a large dice. Cut tomatoes into sixths or quarters depending on size.
- Turn instant pot on to saute and allow it to warm up. Pour in the olive oil, smashed garlic cloves and onion and saute them until soft and frangrant – about 3-4 minutes. Pour in the salt, pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano and saute again.
- Pour in the white wine vinegar and allow it to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Pour in the tomato paste, vegetable broth and chopped tomatoes. Turn off saute on the instant pot.
- Give the soup a gentle stir and close the lid. Set the nozzle to sealing on the top. Set the instant pot to manual / high pressure for 14 minutes. Allow the instant pot to come to pressure and cook for 14 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, manually release the pressure with the nozzle on top. Pour in the heavy cream and stir gently. Place the immersion blender into the instant pot and blend until smooth and creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can use a standard blender and blend in batches.
- Serve with heavy cream or creme fraiche, salt, pepper, and fresh basil!